Interesting Snow Pump Problem

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
This happened to me a while ago but I figured I'd share with everyone.

I discovered my snow pump was not working and pulled the motor apart to see if the problem was obvious. It was.......filled with water and rust. The snow pump motors are not the least bit water resistant, the end caps are simply stamped steel that fit on the body with no seals what so ever. Luckily I was able to clean things up and get the motor running.

My pump is in the old battery location so not really prone to alot of water although I have been known to hose down the engine bay on occasion. I never drive in the rain although the day before I discovered the water the car was on the trailer driving through some hard rain. I don't think this thing could have seen alot of water but yet it was full.

I would suggest that these things be mounted in nice dry location and be careful when spraying water around them.

Humidity can just as easily oxidize metals as a splash of water. The trunk would help against that, but you will eventually run into the same problem.

I'm pretty sure they make no claim that the motors are sealed. If you found water inside the case, you might consider making a drain hole in the housing to allow any accumulated water to drip out.

Snow was very surprised when I informed them that their pumps were getting water in them. I know of 4 people's cars that I'VE worked on that had this problem. The pumps do not like water.

I'm thinking that the end caps could be sealed to the housing with a little RTV. It might make it hard to disassemble in the future however.

Ira,

Your pump is in a very water prone area..May want to eventually relocate or protect And BTW..In the list I gave Miller...It most definitely had 1 dogbone and one lifter retainer.

Guys,

Also..DO you think maybe what you are seeing is from internal leaking?

I'm thinking that the end caps could be sealed to the housing with a little RTV. It might make it hard to disassemble in the future however.

I tend to think the drain hole may be a better idea then trying to seal it. Anyone else...??

Ira

Great to hear I've got another problem to look forward to. Mine is still working fine, but It's not really in a location that I consider dry. It's mounted under the battery tray just above my transmission coolers. Wondering if the hot air blowing off the coolers is helping to keep it dry. I don't drive it in the rain either.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=445171&postcount=3

David

PS: I'm also wondering if this problem is being caused an internal leak from the pump to the motor.

Last edited:
I don't see how the pump would leak into the motor past the front bearing and the metal end plate. The pump was a seperate sealed assembly.

Its not coming from the alcohol, that is an entirely separate housing. It is a diaphragm pump, not a vane pump, and so the motor and it's spinning parts do not come in contact with any water whatsoever. There is nothing to leak.

On the other hand, water dripping on the motor will get it wet.

Back