how to change a clutch

fast89

hi im in need of some help changing a clutch on my 89 sc can some one give me some tips on how to get it out

Remove transmission
Remove 6 bolts around outside edge that holds clutch on
If necessary, remove flywheel and send it to be resurfaced.
Use alignment tool to align friction disc with pilot bearing
Install new clutch pressure plate and tighten the 6 bolts in a cross pattern.
Re-install transmission, making sure input shaft lines up with splines on friction disc.

if you do not have a floor lift then 4 floor jacks makes it easiest. jack up the car as high as you can get it. make sure that the shift is disconnected from inside the cab. remove the 2 forward bolts from the pumpkin, and pull down. slide the drive shaft aft on top of the pumpkin. remove the hyd line for your slave and all wires. remove your exhaust. remove starter. place a jack under the tranny. remove the cross member. remove all bell-housing bolts. slowly lower the tranny.(keep in mind the next 2 steps are done best with an impact or someone at the front of the block with a breaker bar on the crank) remove clutch bolts. remove the flywheel. most every time the flywheel needs to be turned so just plan on that. most exhaust or brake shops can do it pretty cheap. make sure to use just a little lok tight when you re-install the flywheel. good luck :)

You really need to get a service manual....... And if you're asking, you probably don't have all the tools that you'll need either.

Don't forget about dropping the gas tank and exhaust:mad: thats really the hardest part.
I'm kind of a big guy so I throw the tranny on my chest and lift it up, just make sure the clutch is aligned very well to do this.
Have you done any clutch installs before?
Send me a PM if you need some help

You don't have to drop the gas tank to remove the transmission...here's my procedures, MadMikey was about spot on.

1. Remove Center Console, shifter and cover where shifter comes thru.
2. Unbolt the drive shaft from the pumpkin - 4 12pt 12mm bolts
3. Unbolt pumpkin from the frame - 2 bolts w/ nuts beleive 15mm & 18mm
4. Slide Drive shaft back - just enough room to drop trans.
5. Unbolt transmission from Block - 13mm bolts I beleive 8
6. Unbolt trans cross support.
7. May have to drop exhaust...sometimes trans will drop between sometimes it will hang up, I've ran into both on different years.
8. Disconnect line w/ proper tool or carefully with needle nose.
9. Remove clutch, flywheel and pilot bearing.
10. Follow steps backwards to reinstall.

-Tim

Don't forget about dropping the gas tank and exhaust:mad: thats really the hardest part.
I'm kind of a big guy so I throw the tranny on my chest and lift it up, just make sure the clutch is aligned very well to do this.
Have you done any clutch installs before?
Send me a PM if you need some help

no need to drop the gas tank, thats why i instructed to remove the 2 forward bolts on the pumpkin, pull it down then the drive shaft slides over the top of the pumpkin. making there no need for gas tank removal. ive taken my manual out 3 times and just put in an auto. ive been there a few times within the past 3 months.

hi im in need of some help changing a clutch on my 89 sc can some one give me some tips on how to get it out
I'm pretty sure you have to drop the exhaust on these cars. I don't know about the tank. I heard you can unbolt the driveshaft from the rear end and fanesse it around up and over the gas tank just far enough out of the way to drop the tranny. There should be six bolts to remove the clutch, then you're gonna have to align the new clutch and all that jazz. I never resurfaced the flywheel in my Mustang when I installed my 5speed and all in it. BUT, the SC is ALOT nicer car than a 2.3L Mustang so I would probably do what's best for it. And, the clutch bolts should be torqued down to a certain ft. lb. with a torque wrench. I'm not sure what the certain ft. lb. is though. I know the guys on these forums would know though.

ill look that up again. i think it was around 100. i did get it from the search in here and then confirmed it with ford. after i was done i read the instructions that came with the clutch and they had it to. ill be heading out to the parts hole this weekend to get all my manual stuff back out ill look for it then.

Back