Transmission cooler size and location help

rzimmerl

Need some info on what size trans cooler to get, since I am going to a TCI 10" lockup 3K stall converter. I already have a 11x7.25x.75 (19K GVW) B&M stacked plate cooler from before, I just don't think its enough. I already purchased an 8" fan to go on the cooler. I was thinking of adding a 11x8x1.5 stacked plate in series back to back with the existing cooler with the fan as a puller all mounted in front of the radiator (no AC).

What you have now is plenty for that converter...mainly because you are using a lock up unit. With a lock up converter, the only time it makes extra heat is in 1st and 2nd gear, and your not usually in those gears long enough to make much heat. 3rd and OD will be the same as a stock converter. A non locking converter would need the extra cooler and fan, because it slips in every gear.

David

Thanks for the help David. I ended up going lockup because this car sees the street 95% of the time, guess I'll see if I like it. The exsiting cooler I have, usually the temp stays around 180 and will get close to 200 with constant short runs. I may just get the same size with a thicker 1-1/2 core and go without the fan. I am also adding a deep aluminum pan that holds 2 more quarts of fluid and went with TCI's max shift synthetic fluid to fill it up.

Thanks for the help David. I ended up going lockup because this car sees the street 95% of the time, guess I'll see if I like it. The exsiting cooler I have, usually the temp stays around 180 and will get close to 200 with constant short runs. I may just get the same size with a thicker 1-1/2 core and go without the fan. I am also adding a deep aluminum pan that holds 2 more quarts of fluid and went with TCI's max shift synthetic fluid to fill it up.

I'd try running with what you have now and if that doesn't keep temps below 200, then add another cooler and or fan.

David

i was worried about tranny temp aswell and i think i over did it. i used a cooler out of a 97 ford explorer with a 10inch cooler fan and at 70mph for a 79mile trip it will only get to 145-150. if you get any cooling problems get the ford explorer tranny cooler.

Back