Magnum Powers Intake Manifold *Updated 2*

If it were available, would you purchase a MP Intake Manifold?

• Total voters

Toms-SC

For discussion purposes

Hey all,

I was doing some poking around the Tork Tech kits and contacted Charles if it would be possible to do something similar to their intake manifolds but trim it down for a V6. It turns out he had designed a intake manifold awhile back for the V6 but stopped short because of the market conditions. He went as far as to getting a sheet metal prototype made up. This is what I know about it:

- Air to air using using front mount intercoolers that is common with the SC, there is not enough room in our valley to house air to water.
- Raised over an inch over stock for better flow.
- Acts as a large plenum so the cylinders can draw from a large volume. This should greatly reduce distribution issues and such concerns.
- Has front entry so the intake manifold can use larger superchargers.
- Cast Aluminum
- The hole in the front would be a 3" hose barb coming from the air to air cooler, or of course if someone wanted they could have an external liquid to air heat exchanger.
- T stat is remotely mounted to allow more room for the supercharger and air passages. See pages 19 and 20 of the Tork Tech install manual to see how it would be similar.
http://shop.torktech.com/images/instructions/installation instructions M46Kit Rev 7.pdf
- Would require aftermarket hood
- IAT could be mounted in or near the intake manifold
- Stock fuel rail if wish
- Uses universal bypass valve from Magnuson, it would be connected between the intake plenum and air leaving the inter cooler
- The intake magnum powers intake manifold would be starting point to a new line of parts including a TVS blower.

14t39so.jpg

htzgq1.jpg

The target price point would be around $600. There would have to be a minimum number of 30 units pre-sold for him to finish design and get the units cast.

Last edited:
My thoughts;

This design appears to be somewhat universal. If we were to get the V6 Mustang guys on board I think we'd be able get it produced. I like the fact of the front entry system so one could use a larger supercharger or inlet plenum without hitting anything in the back such as the return plenum. It would really open the doors to using off the shelve Whipples/Kennebell kits. For $600 I actually think it is a little low in the price range. :eek:

I'd be willing to bite the bullet for the first order.

While this is a great idea..... from what I've learned and several discussions, I don't think the intake manifold on our cars is the real issue at this point, but heads are.

Whats the point on putting a huge fancy manifold and a gigantic blower on the motor when even the best ported heads can't handle what we currently have out there :cool:.

Fraser

Interesting. Hard to commit without some performance data. So will there be a lower tube supplied with this intake. To get thirty of us to commit on something like this I would think it needs to be bolt on.

Supply a redesigned lower intake tube to mate the intake would be nice.

But where is the Tstat housing going to go to? Also it seems a cowl will be necessary so why not make it water IC?

All good points. I've forwarded him the link to this thread and I'll gather up some questions to ask him. I have no clue where the tstat housing is going to go or if it would come with a new plenum. :eek:

I think the biggest benefit if going to be the universal blower idea. It would now be possible to call up Kenne and get a 2.2 with inlet plenum and bolt it down with very little modification. Offset pulleys could address the snout issue. You'd also be able to run a modified fuel rail.

Fraser,
As per the heads only two people can answer that question. :eek:

All good points. I've forwarded him the link to this thread and I'll gather up some questions to ask him. I have no clue where the tstat housing is going to go or if it would come with a new plenum. :eek:

I think the biggest benefit if going to be the universal blower idea. It would now be possible to call up Kenne and get a 2.2 with inlet plenum and bolt it down with very little modification. Offset pulleys could address the snout issue. You'd also be able to run a modified fuel rail.

Fraser,
As per the heads only two people can answer that question. :eek:

You cannot call up Kenne Bell they only sell kits. Whipple will be the only other choice.

You cannot call up Kenne Bell they only sell kits. Whipple will be the only other choice.

Your right. Although you could get lucky on ebay. But thinking big picture this would open the doors to Whipple/Ford Racing/VTS/TVS and on and on. :cool:

I honestly think that should be the avenue we head down first and thats to build better heads. If we can have heads that can handle alot more flow and be designed good enough to prevent detonation then those 2.2L and higher blowers and big huge turbo's can be used safely.

The stock heads are very badly designed and very prone to detonation which is limiting alot of the potential of what we can do with these motors.

And frankly, if I was DD I'd just say screw it and get new heads designed and built instead of trying to appease the masses, which we know will never happen, especially around here ;).

Fraser

Cannot seem to choose a single design and go with it.

This seems to be the case with many things.

The only change I'd like to see with the MP intake manifold is to have a tab on the inlet side that could be drilled out for a proper nitrous injection point. :D

I honestly think that should be the avenue we head down first and thats to build better heads. If we can have heads that can handle alot more flow and be designed good enough to prevent detonation then those 2.2L and higher blowers and big huge turbo's can be used safely.

The stock heads are very badly designed and very prone to detonation which is limiting alot of the potential of what we can do with these motors.

And frankly, if I was DD I'd just say screw it and get new heads designed and built instead of trying to appease the masses, which we know will never happen, especially around here ;).

Fraser

Fraser,

I think the aprox $50K tooling/pattern/prototype/design cost is the biggest obstacle. If I understood correctly, the $50K does not cover the actual cost of building the heads.

You would need to line up a lot of buyers to absorb the up front cost, and it would have to be done without having a product in hand to demonstrate or prove how much extra power the heads would make.

David

I do realize there is alot of cost up front, but what I can't figure out is why you would go to the expense of tooling up a big fancy intake manifold so you can run a huge blower, where another part of the motor that is more critical will restrict the upgrade and leave you where you where at in the first place so that $600 + say $3000 for a blower kit you spent was for not :rolleyes:.

Guess I'm just trying to be too logical with it all :).

Fraser

On the other hand, if the heads are stalled ... and the tooling costs are likely to be much higher for those ... wouldn't it make sense to pursue this option in the meantime?

The real win would be to coordinate the port design of this manifold with the most likely head design that may eventually be produced. That way, people can combine them when / if the heads ever come out.

David,

What is your thoughts on the intake manifold?

After reading that Mike Tuck's manifold was going to be compatible with existing heads or the new heads, and reading how even a good flowing set of ported heads, don't flow nearly as well with the existing intake manifold attached, and how when tested on the flow bench Mikes intake manifold improved flow on the heads, I think there is enough interest in a better intake manifold to justify producing one in advance of the heads.

I also agree with Fraser that we aren't going to see much in the way of performance gains unless we also improve the heads.

For the record I like Mike's manifold better, mainly because it's designed to accept inverted or top discharge blowers and could also house a liquid IC core. From what I understand that manifold is working well except for some problems with getting equal air distribution to all the cylinders. That may all go away with the addition of a IC core, or it may still require some work.

David

This proposed intake could also be used in a turbo application with a inlet hat sitting where the supercharger would sit, right?

The 3D rendering does'nt make much sense to me?

Air enters from the front and I assume travels underneath the blower until it enters the inlet at the back. From there is travels out the top (just like the stock sc setup) and then goes where?

Hmm when I said it wasnt the intake desiggnn........(I'm used to it though):rolleyes:

Tooling for the intake is much cheaper as is production costs when compared to a set of heads..Probably why this was worked on first.

If the intake facilitates using a larger blower its worth it. Much like the v8 kits CHarles has out there. WHat sucks is lack of a L/A IC. But then youde be talking prostock height hood clearance needed.... I'd like to hear more about it just to see whats up and what can be done

Last edited:
Back