Anyone ever used generic bolts for lower intake

Condor232

I found some grade 8.8, 8mm x 1.25 x 50mm bolts at home depot. Six point, zinc plated. They also had a 60mm long one. Anyone ever used a generic bolt for the lower intake? And if not, why not?

GREAT! coming from home depot you know right away they're from China. and, have you considered the fine coarse thread. don't know???

Stock bolts are M8 x 55mm x1.25 pitch 9.8 grade bolt You can get them or a 10.8 bolt from McMaster Carr for a reasonable price in a yellow zinc plating. I don't know if I'd use a shorter bolt, nor would I want to use generic parts from Home Depot.

Metric grade 8.8 is equivalent to a grade 5 bolt, which is much weaker then metric grade 10.9 whcih is equivalent to grade 8. Don't get cheap on a set of $8 bolts.

GREAT! coming from home depot you know right away they're from China. and, have you considered the fine coarse thread. don't know???
I would say it's better than buying anything from Menards, if you are familiar with that midwestern retailer. Anything with a company sku number on the box from let's say Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes is bad news. The store's exclusive products are complete junk. I have never bought anything from Menards that hasn't either broken or not worked.

I would agree with all the statements here, but wasn't entirely sure if anyone has gone down that route and what the thoughts were. I wasn't going to go ARP for the bolts. I can't justify 70 bucks for these things, but I will check out the Carr website and see what I can get.

I had generic bolts holding down the intake manifold of my old motor for several years. Don't recall what grade they were, but I would expect the grade 5 equilivent to be plenty given the low torque on those bolts.

David

Back