My SC is being an ~~~~ again. Low coolant light keeps coming on.

MustangJake88

Ok, my low coolant light keeps coming on after I drive my car. The coolant bottle is topped off and my radiator is topped off but it still says "low radiator" inside the car. My uncle told me that there is a certain way to reset the gauges in these cars. Mine sat for awhile so I think they may be going whacko. Any ideas?

Check the sensor in the coolant tank. It might be covered in crud. If it is clean the contacts off with a scotch brite pad.

I used a small wire brush to clean the contacts on the end of the sensor.....

I'll bet the end of the sensor is either a light tan or light green in color....:p

Yeah I know it's pretty dirty, like Pam Anderson dirty. So I'll clean it off. Now I gotta figure out why it's flashing "Change Oil Now" when I changed it two weeks ago. My gauges are a little messed up. My gas gauge isn't working right and my temp gauge is always pegged. Guess you can't expect any less out of a car that sat for 3 years!

did you reset the vmm after the oil change ?

get a new gas gauge.

and buy a new temp sensor. the one that sits closest to the thermostat housing.

did you reset the vmm after the oil change ?

get a new gas gauge.

and buy a new temp sensor. the one that sits closest to the thermostat housing.
No, I was not aware of having to reset anything after an oil change. Just did it like I normally did on my Mustangs. And are you sure the gas gauge ordeal isn't a bad sending unit on the pump?

If you will look to the left side of the change oil light, you will see a small hole. Take a paperclip and while the ignition is on, poke the end of the clip in the hole and hold it there till the light turns green. Takes a few seconds to reset.

Yes Jake, as others have stated... just replace the temp sending unit (9 bucks).
and my coolant low lamp has been intermittent on/off since I bought it in 91.
Just keep an eye on the overflow bottle and coolant level in radiator periodically to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere.

And the oil change now lamp is just a paperclip pin hole to reset.
I don't really know how it knows when to come on. The odometer took the shiat in mine a long time ago.

My VMM in the 90 has started flaking out, sometimes saying low coolant when there isn't, other times low oil when there isn't, and low washer fluid when it isn't. I just think the VMM is going south.

So, there can be all sorts of causes. there are VMM delete panels available around to fill the hole where the VMM is if you don't want to deal with it anymore.

Back