Whinny noice

ShawnSC1

My 90 3.8 SC is making a whinny noice when I am in low idle. When I give it gas it goes away. It sounds like its coming from around the super charger. Would anyone know what this could be.

Hello. If the noise is not excessive, this is the regular sound of the supercharger. :D Neat, isnt it? Technically, it could be an alternator or power steering pump, but like I said, only if it is abnormally loud. See if it increases when you go into boost. If you like it, you can make the supercharger noise louder by removing the air silencer. Hope that helps..

Ya I know the sound of the super charger. Its not that. You can here the noice from inside and outside of the car. Where is the air silencer. Maybe its that. Is it good to remove that.

Last edited:
Ok I took the super charger belt off and run it and that noice is still there. It sounds like its coming from right behind the super charger. Somebody eles must of had the same problem. Please if you know what it might be let me know.

its the by-pass valve, the little round black cannister is leaking internally. Remove the line to it and apply vacuum, see if stays open, if it closes shut, it leaking. Not a big deal if it leaks some. Another way to test it is to play with that rod from the valve, do not push or pull it when the engine is running though!!!!!!!, just use light pressure.

Ya I have moved that arm and alot. Is that going to be a problem. Also would that still work if I pulled the supercharger belt off and run the motor, because it was still making that noice. That part you are talking about is round and has an arm going into it right. and the other end has a vacum hose.

yea it'll still make noise without the belt, only removing the vaccum line will stop it(dont do that for too long, just as a check). Tugging hard on that arm while the engine is running puts pressure on the diaphgram(rips it), but if its already ripped because of the noise, doesnt matter too much now:D

Back