billet comp cam

90blkbrd

A local guy is having a engine built. He purchased a cam from SCP (stage 2) with 460 lift. The engine builder states that using stock springs won't work with this cam. So he didn't follow my recommendations and create an account here and well lets just say he is happy with the valve geometry but the valve covers will need an extra half an inch.

The heads have been ported but retain the stock valves.

What all is needed when installing a cam such as rockers, spring cups, springs, retainers etc?

Comp 942's will take .500 lift, and more, and are an easy swap with stock geometry. Good match for that cam.

There are some Crane (forget #) springs that require some machining of the seat.

Comp 942 springs will work with stock retainers and locks. I used them for a couple years with no problems.

It was a stock cam, forgot to mention that. I used Scorpion 1.73 rockers, and also had to use longer pushrods.

It was a stock cam, forgot to mention that. I used Scorpion 1.73 rockers, and also had to use longer pushrods.

So you used a stock cam, comp 942 valve springs, stock Retainers, stock valve locks and different push rods?

When you say stock cam did you mean stock cam or a stock cam that has been reground? Thus the need for different push rods?

Would this be the same requirements for a aftermarket cam? Do you happen to have the part number for the push rods?

It was a stock cam not a regrind. I used 942 springs, stock retainers, stock locks, Scorpion rockers, and the pushrods are for a 95 Camaro Z28 (length I think is 7.192). The rockers required a .060 longer pushrod, because I could not get any preload with the stock length pushrods. Do a search for the Z28 pushrods, there are a few posts on them. As for what you would need for the regrind pushrods, best bet would be to use an adjustable pushrod and measure what you will need from it.

It was a stock cam not a regrind. I used 942 springs, stock retainers, stock locks, Scorpion rockers, and the pushrods are for a 95 Camaro Z28 (length I think is 7.192). The rockers required a .060 longer pushrod, because I could not get any preload with the stock length pushrods. Do a search for the Z28 pushrods, there are a few posts on them. As for what you would need for the regrind pushrods, best bet would be to use an adjustable pushrod and measure what you will need from it.

Sweet! Thanks Ryan.

That .460 lift, is that with 1.73 rockers or is that for 1.60 rockers.

The stock springs are ok until about a .500 lift but I would not venture any higher than that. It never hurts to get new springs though.

Fraser

The 942 isn't the best spring. A double coil spring will have a bit longer life and it will be better at dampening. I would use the 987 springs, if you could. The problem is that it coil binds at 1.150 instead of 1.125 like the 942's, so it's .025" closer to coil bind than the 942's. The stock valves have a double groove lock, so I don't know where you could find +.050" valve locks at. If you can find some, then I would go that route.

**EDIT** With .460" lift, he won't need to worry about it. Just use the stock locks and retainers.

That .460 lift, is that with 1.73 rockers or is that for 1.60 rockers.

The stock springs are ok until about a .500 lift but I would not venture any higher than that. It never hurts to get new springs though.

Fraser

I haven't seen the cam card, but I'll ask when I call.

The 942 isn't the best spring. A double coil spring will have a bit longer life and it will be better at dampening. I would use the 987 springs, if you could. The problem is that it coil binds at 1.150 instead of 1.125 like the 942's, so it's .025" closer to coil bind than the 942's. The stock valves have a double groove lock, so I don't know where you could find +.050" valve locks at. If you can find some, then I would go that route.

**EDIT** With .460" lift, he won't need to worry about it. Just use the stock locks and retainers.

So use the 987 even if the 460 lift is figured with the 1.73 or 1.6 rockers?

1. rocker arm boss milled to remove tabs and changed from 8mm stud to 3/8ths. (to accommodate the roller rocker)
2. comp cams stainless roller rocker (listed for cam in comp cams book)
3. valve changed to a taller stem (stock Ford 289 valve)
4. 26120 spring (bee have spring listed for cam in comp cams book)

Currently everything fits under the valve cover with polylock not installed. They believe if they mill off some of the polylock it will fit under stock valve cover.

Does all of this make sense? It seems they are going overboard trying to use what is listed in comp cams book.

I have a .480 lift cam from SCP with stock springs and have had no issues in 2 years.

According to the engine builder the stock springs don't have enough seat pressure listed for the cam.

(If I am getting my terminology wrong, please correct me)

If the stock springs are still good you should be fine at that low lift.... besides, its not like our motors are high rpm motor's.

It sounds like they are going way over board for a cam like that. The comp springs that the guys have mentioned would be perfect with stock rockers. I ran a set of those with my cam, and it has about a .490 lift on the intake and a .530 lift on the exhaust with the stock 1.73 rockers.

Fraser

If the stock springs are still good you should be fine at that low lift.... besides, its not like our motors are high rpm motor's.

It sounds like they are going way over board for a cam like that. The comp springs that the guys have mentioned would be perfect with stock rockers. I ran a set of those with my cam, and it has about a .490 lift on the intake and a .530 lift on the exhaust with the stock 1.73 rockers.

Fraser

I don't think stock is 1.73.

Back