New sound comming from motor. I don't think it's good.

JasonMiller94SC

Anyone ever heard a motor make a noise like this? I took all the belts off and it still makes the same noise.

http://chapters.tccoa.com/va/membersrides/95tbird_girl/Blown%20Motor/Driving%20squeek.MPG

http://chapters.tccoa.com/va/membersrides/95tbird_girl/Blown%20Motor/Motor%20squeek.MPG

This started why my Fiance was driving it home from the track. It was running constant 14.1's on all three passes that night but it seems down on power a bit since the car has run 13.5's and 13.6's before in only slight cooler weather.

Sounds like my MTD lawn mower right before the engine seized up. I guess you could start by removing all the belts and starting it. Could be the blower..or worse.. a crank bearing, broken piston or connecting rod.

Anyone ever heard a motor make a noise like this? I took all the belts off and it still makes the same noise.

Thanks for the replys but I already removed all the belts. One person suggested a bent rod. I wonder if it might have spun a lifter? It does have a reground cam in it.

Yep, rod bearing spun and crank is now junk. Coincides with the lower performance at the track. No oil pressure gauge huh?

Guess there is not much of a point of pulling the top of the motor apart then. I'll just have to pull it out and see what I can find in the bottom end.

Thanks for all the good info guys. Any suggestions on what to do to the short block besides a rebuild? This is my girls daily driver so I was thinking nothing fancy. Just mabye do the block .020 over or something.

By the sound of it, I'm wondering if the shortblock is salvageable at all. How long was it driven like that? Minimum: crank, rods, pistons and a lot of machining.

By the sound of it, I'm wondering if the shortblock is salvageable at all. How long was it driven like that? Minimum: crank, rods, pistons and a lot of machining.

It started making the noise like that about a mile after we left the gas station. She pulled right over within 10 seconds and shut it off. I started it again on the side of the road for about 5 seconds after I pulled all the belts off. We then called for a tow truck. It was then started and pulled into the driveway.

So the total run time while it's been making that noise is probaly less than 30 seconds.

I know when I spun a rod bearing in my car it only had a few seconds of run time on it and the crank was fine.

It started making the noise like that about a mile after we left the gas station. She pulled right over within 10 seconds and shut it off. I started it again on the side of the road for about 5 seconds after I pulled all the belts off. We then called for a tow truck. It was then started and pulled into the driveway.

So the total run time while it's been making that noise is probaly less than 30 seconds.

I know when I spun a rod bearing in my car it only had a few seconds of run time on it and the crank was fine.

My 90 sounded like that one day after the head gasket blew going down the highway.. Next day I sold it for $850.00

Jason,

Look for a good shortblock from a donor car. Their are plenty from wrecked cars. I have seen a few engines on Ebay cheap.

feel your pain... my 95 5-speed went clunk clunk bang!

havent drained the oil yet, but i'm pretty certain i know what i'm gonna find.

hello smallblock! ;):D

I have a couple blocks at the shop. Get ahold of Tim and see if he wants to sell.

Yeah Chris has a few of my old motors I beleive all need machine work...I'll take what every fair value is...and well you can catch up with me when ever on that.

Just get the car back on the road. Also...isn't Luis selling the motor from his now totalled 89?...also Mike (Joker) is parting out an SC if I recall...all good options for the time being.

-Tim

Back