Best Paint?

phycobob

Ok, I'm repainting my SC after taking care of all the body work. I want an EXTREMELY high gloss jet black color, like the new benz's. They have this deep, deep, deep shiny black that I haven't seen reproduced on any other cars. What I need to know is, what is the best paint to use? I know of Dupont, Sikkens, and PPG. What is going to give me the results Im looking for?

Sikkens base, paint and clear.......no other way to go if you want that high gloss, deep, rich, wet black look.

That's just my opinion....Sikkens is the best. My paint is Sikkens paint and clear. Sorry I really dont have any pics that does it justice.

ANY of the major brands will work...

Don't let anyone tell you there's only one choice of paint, it's not true. This is DuPont Chroma on mine, and I've seen Glasurit, Sikkens, PPG and others look just as good. It's all in the quality of the work, as well as the quality of the paint. Cheers, Dan H

SC%20REFL_Taillight.jpg

sclowproref.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad someone else feels the same way. ;) Bad thing is I have seen Dan's car in person, and then I now look at the top of my where the famous bad 94-95 paint job of Ford is finally taking place. Yes the paint is turing the great white color. Well it's time to go get some quotes for a paint job. :)

OMG!

Wow Dan...thats EXACTLY the results Im looking for! How much did that set you back? And did they just repaint, or completely strip it down to the metal and start over? Im gonna add mirror tint to the windows as well, and I WISH if I had money left over to make payments on a set of AT Italia rims....soooo nice!
at_inox_ci3_l.jpg

sweet

Ok, I guess a better question would be...How much did it cost for the paint and materials? And like I said before, did you repaint it, or actually strip it to the bare metal? If you painted it, I would like to know exactly what you did (how many coats, prep work, finishing, etc...) so I can hopefully duplicate the results. My friends dad will actually paint it, but Im going to help do all the prep work like sanding and such, which I hear is most of the cost of a paint job. He normaly restores classic mustangs, and the ones I've seen look really good, but I'll take as much advice as I can get!

Just got back...

from Adam's funeral in Cape Coral Florida, and it was rough thing to get through, but also very memorable and uplifting. More on that in the days ahead...

Jonathan, I was fortunate in that my (then light titanium color ) paint was in top condition, no dings, dents, scratches or delamination at all, so I merely scuffed the existing factory paint , used an acrylic sealer, then the basecoat/ clearcoat. Just about everything came off the car (Sorry for you guys that have heard all this umpteenth time) including the GFX , hood and trunklid. If you have severe delamination, flaking, crazing or such, stripping it may be the best approach.

You'll find that properly scuffed OEM paint that was in good shape is a very good base for new paint, and you'll get a great bond if prepped properly. Dawn wash, degrease with Prep-Sol , then A tinted (to match whichever color you're painting the car ) acrylic sealer will ensure no bad karma , be it bleeding, chemical reactions, between the oem paint and the new, and you're ready
to spray.

Total material cost back in 1997 when I did it; $350

Bear in mind, that was with an old siphon- feed Sharpe spray gun and some of you may know those old guns spray more paint into the air than they do on the car, so you waste a lot. The color change of course adds quite a bit more to the equation also. If you had a modern HVLP spray gun, and painted the car the same color, you could probably cut that material cost in half.

Yes, we all want to think what we have is "best" but, as happy as I am with my DuPont paint, and I'm tickled silly, it's simply wrong for me to say it 's better than those other brands. A friend has a high-end body shop that specializes in BMW, Ferraris, Lexus etc. and they used to use Glasurit, but have switched over to PPG. In fact, my car's rear bumper was replaced and painted by them last year after I was rear -ended, and they used PPG paint on it. It simply looks as glossy as the rest of the car-no difference. Lexus repair facilities specify BASF paint, and it too looks killer, so just buy a top name and you'll have what you want. Remember; YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR when it comes to paint, and all these paints are pricey. When the supplier tells you a quart of X brand costs $70 but he can sell you the equivalent in a non-familiar name brand for $35...well..the difference is often visible, in clarity, durability, and elastomeric abilities...

My only advice; If you've never painted a car before, think long and hard about it . Some things are best left to the pros. Just find one that uses a top brand paint, and you'll SHINE. hehe

Cheers.
SCorangeT-blujeans.jpg

got a quote...

Talked to a paint shop today. They only sell PPG, and the guy told me that for all the materials (basecoat, urethane clear coat, hardeners, acrylic sealer, flex additive for the bumper, and materials like sand paper, taping, etc...) it would come out close to $500. I talked to my friend's dad about equipment, and he said he uses a mattson atomiser iq gun, and I just looked it up and it IS a HVLP gun, so I think its all good. Thanks very much for the info Dan, I really appreciate it!

mine has been painted with DuPont Chroma also the paint is beautiful but its all about how the person sprats the car. Get someone good and reliable....

I have also seen PPG and it is outstanding

Todd

Having worked in,and owned my own Body Shop, let me give you a peice of advise!

The quality of your paint job is not only in the top coat. The paint job is only as good as the work under it.

TAKE YOUR TIME, and make sure you have everything straight and make sure everything in smooth before you put the paint on. Remember, paint will bring out the inperfections in the bodywork!

As for what top coat is the best: Any of the big brands are good, and one is no better than the next. The whole thing hinges on what the painter likes and knows how to use. Every brand sprays a little differently, and a good painter will stick to one brand of paint because of this fact!

House of Kolor

House of Kolor has the best CUSTOM paint bar none

Attachments

• auto%20fair%205 from frt.jpg
    auto%20fair%205 from frt.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 177
Re: House of Kolor

rawchicken said:
House of Kolor has the best CUSTOM paint bar none

Color is a completely different subject all-together!

Yes, "House of Kolors" has a lot of cool stuff that you can't get anywhere else, but be ready to pay big money for it!

In some cases you can drop 3-4 times the amount for thier stuff compared to factory colors at a regular paint store or parts house.

The only thing I don't like about "House of Kolors" is that there product doesn't mix with anything else so you have to buy everything from them. This is no big deal until you are painting something at 10:30 pm on Saturday night and you run out of reducer or something. You then have to wait until you can get more and then start all over. If you are in the middle of the hood this can be costly!

Another thing about "House of Kolors" is: it's a b!+ch to match if you get a chip or scratch.

Last edited:
not really

They have more than just custom colors I have mixed different clears with there bases and different bases with there clear havent had any problem with it.You can buy a gallon of there clear for 95.00.Someone asked who made the best not who made the best on a budget and I gave my opinion.Plus I always buy enough before I do a job so i dont have 10 buy any at 10:30

Attachments

• tint fro outside.jpg
    tint fro outside.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 145
Re: ANY of the major brands will work...

Onequicksc,

Could you please post some more pics of the new paint job? Looks very good.

Justin

onequiksc said:
Don't let anyone tell you there's only one choice of paint, it's not true. This is DuPont Chroma on mine, and I've seen Glasurit, Sikkens, PPG and others look just as good. It's all in the quality of the work, as well as the quality of the paint. Cheers, Dan H

SC%20REFL_Taillight.jpg

sclowproref.jpg

Thanks and...FWIW

Justin, I painted my car in 1997, so it's not exactly "new' anymore. But here you go.
I might mention there were about 30 or so layers of Zaino on it when these were taken about a year ago. I'm fast approaching 100 coats at the moment, but haven't taken any new pics recently.

Not the best camera either, but I'm working on that. Cheers.

SC-sidevwREFldec1.jpg

SCOrangeTree.jpg

SCOrangetree-passSIDE.jpg

SCWaterfordLakesSHOW.jpg

CarShow-ProwlerREFL2.jpg

SC-Lakes-REDFLOWERS.jpg

Last edited:
post more pics

hey rawchicken post more of your pics that looks like a bad ass color and some awsome body work :D

Back