Replacing the ignition cylinder w/o a key

tydlwavs

Is there a way to remove the ignition cylinder without the key for the one in the car? I scored a spare, but I am not sure how to pull one without the key for it.

Any info is appreciated. I will be looking for any and all info on swapping all locks on the car: doors, trunk, ignition.

Thanks,
Todd

You have to be able to turn the cylinder in the barrel, and short of destroying all or part of the assembly in the process, I haven't found any way besides having the key or a good lock picker...err smith :)

Once the slap hammer came into general use as a 'removal' tool, lock picking seems to have become a lost art.

I know you posted about losing your keys (I'm sure thats what this is now being asked)...I too had a similar situation and had a locksmith come out and make me a key. Beleive it was $105 bucks and he did it right in the driveway with a lifetime warranty on the cut keys.

Sorry for the off topic but seems like a lot less work and worry...the guy didn't have to rip anything apart and did it all in about 2 hours. Pretty cool and a little scary to be honest.

-Tim

been there and done it!!

2 times 2 different cars here in california the locksmith toll me this

160 for a key or 65 to remove the cylinder lock .....

so i choos remove the cylinder lock but .... i stay there and wach ...:D

he used a drimel or how ever is called with speed control..:rolleyes: with a small drill bit that barely fits in the key he worked top and bottom only no side ways all the way in top to bottom no side way you can do bottom then top then with a screwdriver he turn the ignition s on then pushed the little pin on the bottom and pulled that was like in 30.00 min ... fast and easy ... i have done this 4 times already 1 on my own 3 for friends..

Yeah, The kicker is that I'll pay double since I need both keys, I can get the complete lock and key set, used, for under 50.

If I can't get the lock cylinder out than I have no choice but to get a key cut for the ignition. I'll start calling around for that. I know I'll find the damn keys as soon as I pay the locksmith.

Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah, The kicker is that I'll pay double since I need both keys, I can get the complete lock and key set, used, for under 50.

If I can't get the lock cylinder out than I have no choice but to get a key cut for the ignition. I'll start calling around for that. I know I'll find the damn keys as soon as I pay the locksmith.

Thanks for the help guys!

I just found the receipt - its was $115 for both keys cut on mine...I called my local Ford Dealership asking first about getting a key cut off the vin...anything prior to 96 I beleive isn't available for this.

They told me the name of the guy to call who was about $50 cheaper than the rest for he worked out of his car.

It's not as expensive as you might think and the guy didn't even have to pop a single door panel off to any of the work.

-Tim

Take off the trim piece around the column, and you will be able to see the little tab that you are supposed to push in when the key is turned to get it out. Since you can't turn the key, grab a cordless drill and a bit that just barely fits in there (I believe 5/32" is the right size) and drill out the tab. It will take a few minutes of drilling, but once you get it down enough, you'll be able to slide the cylinder right out, and when the new one goes in, the hole will still be intact to retain the new one.

Back