smog check failure!! need help!

BECERRASC

ok guys heres the report 1992 5 speed

i just fail in the nox at 15 mph i got 799 limit is 757 ...... all others pass

but the NOX at 25 mph was 696 and limit is 696..... so what do you guys think..

i had 87 gas on it with the plugs off .......< i did this cause i read here that this was better??? i always use premium

now what would be the best to change ??? O2 sensors ?? my fuel filter has like 8k on it <....... now i would like to know if it's better to run 91 or 93 theres a VP racing gas stations here they do even sell 100 at 6.46 a gallon ..:eek:... what would be the best ... to do .... oh and i have one of those screaming demon coils and the spark plugs are gaped at 60 any one ...

the car has a new radiator /new houses / belts/ t-stat/ ...:D

Last edited:
Try Ethanol?

I've heard running E85 or putting in a few bottles of 99% Isopropyl alcohol, or a couple bottles of Heet when the car is nearly empty will get you a pass. I also was told unscrewing the oil cap slightly will help out... Not sure why though.

I've heard running E85 or putting in a few bottles of 99% Isopropyl alcohol, or a couple bottles of Heet when the car is nearly empty will get you a pass. I also was told unscrewing the oil cap slightly will help out... Not sure why though.

e-85 would help a lil, dont use any form of alcohol. it will melt your seals. also you can have the exhaust shop replace the resonator with a cat temporarily for the inspection. have them install disconnect clamps like the clamps to the manifolds. and if you search the forums you can find ways to tweak your timing for a better result. other then that might i suggest moving to 1 of the few places left in this country that is still partially American and doesn't have smog test.

btw i hope you guys get some form of help somehow over all that no water for your fields ordeal. i hate fish anyways. good luck :)

I don't think you're supposed to drop the octane. You're supposed to use the usual premium stuff, but take the plugs out to drop the timing. But it may not have made that much of a difference.

I recently improved my NOx by pulling the octane adjust plug (3 degrees of timing taken out) and adding 4 bottles of HEET to about 4 gallons of fuel. It dropped my NOx about 40%.

(Disclaimer - I didn't watch the mechanic run the car both times, so I can not verify that the car was at the same temperature, etc. But it was a good mechanic.)

I have been told to watch out for the effects of the methanol in the HEET. But I added it right before the test, and fueled the car up immediately after the test. So it was only concentrated in there for a couple of hours.

Replace your Cats ... stop messing with little things that arent going to significantly reduce NOx.

- Dan

hey what is exactly HEET i need to know please or were can i find ??? thanks in advance

Like what the last guy said, get it at auto parts stores, or at WalMart. Basically Heet is alcohol and a few additives used as a gas line anti-freeze and also for removing water from gas tanks. Heet is methanol, and IsoHeet is an Isopropyl alcohol.

Like what the last guy said, get it at auto parts stores, or at WalMart. Basically Heet is alcohol and a few additives used as a gas line anti-freeze and also for removing water from gas tanks. Heet is methanol, and IsoHeet is an Isopropyl alcohol.

my god scotty isopropyl alcohol is what i used to prep f-18's and now black hawks for painting. it removes paint/oil,and fuel. hard to think of putting such a violent solvent in your fuel tank. SCARY.:eek:

my god scotty isopropyl alcohol is what i used to prep f-18's and now black hawks for painting. it removes paint/oil,and fuel. hard to think of putting such a violent solvent in your fuel tank. SCARY.:eek:

That must be some good stuff you have .. this Isopropyl I have doesnt clean anything, I just use it to wipe down and clean grease / finger prints before a paint job. But yeah, Ive heard about people using it in their gas tank to pass a smog test. It can be used as an Octane booster as well, but can also cause engine damage if used too often. Im just not a believer of magic stuff in a bottle that makes you pass smog.

- Dan

I'm not either ... but it appeared to help me pass. I would never have resorted to such tricks, except that I needed to get my car passed "stat", as the sticker was more than a month past due. I have new cats, but didn't have time to put them on. And there was no other explanation ... the car was running perfectly and had new O2s, spark plugs, and injectors, and no vacuum leaks.

Back