Can the SCT chip be self-tuned??

Wagonman88

I have an 89 and I'm planning on getting an SCT for it. What I want to know is, for this car, can I get software and put it on my laptop to tune with this chip myself? If not, who makes a chip/ECU that I can buy that will allow me full access to tuning. I read that the SCT can be sent back out after dyno runs to dial the AFR's in to a desirable spot but what's the turn-around time on this service?

Jeremy

I have an 89 and I'm planning on getting an SCT for it. What I want to know is, for this car, can I get software and put it on my laptop to tune with this chip myself?

Yes, this can be done.

If not, who makes a chip/ECU that I can buy that will allow me full access to tuning.

ECU No one. Our cars can only be tuned by chip.

I read that the SCT can be sent back out after dyno runs to dial the AFR's in to a desirable spot but what's the turn-around time on this service?

This can be done as well. The only tuner I would trust doing this to a super coupe would be "XR7 DAVE".

But you are in luck, purchasing the latest and greatest software and chip for our car is cheaper than SCT and has more capabilities than the SCT. It is the Moates quarter horse. (already mentioned above)

Thanks! I have a tuner already however, just needed software :D My guy is also named Dave, he specializes in RX-7's though. Thanks for the info guys!!!

Jeremy

I was hunting around the site a bit and found the QH setup. Now this appears to work for any EEC-IV or V vehicle. I'm a bit lost on the installation of the product though. I assume it goes inside the stock ECU just as a regular chip does. I haven't had this ECU apart yet to see if there is a daughter board within it that this replaces or something similar. Anyone have any pics of this chip installed?

Jeremy

Back