Vmm

moterhead

I recently had my JBL radio out for repair. After installing it, I noticed the VMM unit's display seemed further away from the bezel than normal. I pulled the radio back out to investigate. Seems the VMM unit has come apart somehow. Still works fine. I tried pushing it back to the bezel part, but it flops back when I put the radio back in. I can't figure out how to remove the bezel so I can get the whole thing out to see how to reassemble it or can it be reassembled? Suggestions please! The car is a '90 35th anniversary with 32,000 actual miles on it.
CW

This is tricky, so be careful or you'll break it. You need 2 small thin flat screwdrivers. You will see 2 small notches on each side of the vmm, left and right. You then insert the screwdrivers and at the same time apply a little pressure until you can start to wiggle out the spring clips.
The vmm has 2 flat spring clips that press outwardly and hook into plastic notches inside. What you have to do is to push the screwdrivers in carefully,and then apply a little pressure to get the clips to move in. Then it pops right out. The bezel you can super glue back together. My advice is to be careful or you'll break the back of the housing where the clips slide in.
Good luck.

LOL.. Hey mitch.. long time no see!! :D :D

Just my $.02. When I did dismantled my dash this summer to replace the evaporator, I managed to snap a few clips and crack the VMM housing. As a repair, I CAREFULLY drilled two holes and installed 1 small short flatheaded screw to hold each spring clip onto the housing as those things break so easy. I then wrapped the front part to the back part of the case with some of that professional steel Air conditioning tape. If you guys don't have any of it, go to Home Depot and buy some.. this stuff is great and sticks like fly paper. It also works 1000 times better than vinyl duct tape on home A/C ducting. It doesn't dry, crack, or come unstuck and it seals air leaks up tight. Shoot, I'd bet it'll seal our Intercooler tubes perfectly. I might try it some time.

Mine came apart while inside the dash. I ended up having to remove the assembly and used electrical tape to keep the rear housing attached. After wrapping the tape around the housing a few times it became a squeeze fit into the opening and it stays just fine. I realize this is the worst case scenario but the plastic clips just fell apart in my hands. Just wanted to mention using the tape to enlarge the housing dimensions to fit into the opening in case you find yourself in that situation.

Good luck.

Thanks

Thanks for the helpful responses. Got my problem taken care of. Used some of the new gel type superglue to stick the front and back parts of the case together. Also had to superglue one of the metal retainers to the side of the case as the bottom of the plastic clip retainer had broken. Seems fine now.

CW

Back