Do I fix her or part her out?

chargerrich

So I have a dilema. I recent acquired a 90 SC (Red w/ Tan) that was mistreated but is mechanically sound only because the previous owner was a former Ford mechanic.

The car has a litany of small little issues, none of which are mechanical in nature but would require perhaps an investment far greater than the car would ever be worth.

So my question is do I part her out as a good running car needing serious TLC or keep her?

So far the problems I have discovered:

1. Front Passenger Side Headlight Assembly Cracked
2. Rear Passenger Side Headligh Assembly Cracked
3. AC not working, holds freon but some flange is broken (assuming needs replaced entirely)
4. Passenger window actuator/motor (motor spins but not moving)
5. Driver and Passenger SC leather seats are cracked pretty bad... not really torn but moused good (all power works though)
6. Factory SC Radio is missing completely
7. Factory Info Display (whatever the display above the radio is called) is missing.
8. Center Console lid is broke and pretty weathered
9. Console shifter (automatic) is kind of sloppy/loose
10. No major dents but lots of scraps and dinged and even a little surface rust (easily removed).

Drove her home from 80 miles away and she purred, had lots of power, good boost, transmission shifted like butter, all lights and functions work, engine looks very clean. Had a pretty MAJOR rear rotor issue (so bad owner temp removed the power relay under dash).

I have thus far replaced the rear rotors and pads, put on new rear tires, flush coolant, oil and filter change. All told I am about $1,200 into this car with more to come. What could I expect parting it out and how much more could I expect to invest to "get it right".

The decision would be easier if she did not run so well :p

Most of that is cosmetic.
If you want pretty go buy a new car.
It sounds like a great car for getting you from point A to point B.

I would post in the wanted section what you need and fix those issues...I have some of the parts you mentioned and I wouldn't break your wallet to get them if interested.

I would keep it and repair whats needed.

-Tim

The junkyards are your best freind when you need almost all the parts you need, around here 89-97 t-birds are always plentiful in the yards. Except for the brake light lens, vmm(vehicle maintenance monitor), and SC specific front seats, all parts are generic to all birds and cougars. I have a vmm in great shape if you want to purchase it. I actually have the correct brake light lenses too but I'm selling them as a pair.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108467

Last edited:
Way over here.

I've acquired a 93 manual a while ago that also has some issues. It's been a front end accident and has been driven lot during the winter as there's a lot of rust and rust holes underneath.

Since then, I've repaired and replace most of the damage and don't intend to turn it into a parts car. I plan on registering the car and hopefully have it on the road by next summer.

The catch is that I live in Germany (so there is no local pick and pull) and would love to have a parts car that I can use for my 90 that's pretty decked out. What's stopping me is the engine (that has over 200,000) which still runs smooth and the interior is pretty clean. Also, I would love to have another road worthy SC because they are so rare over here.

Thanks to this web site and all its wonderful sellers :rolleyes: I'm sure I can bring it back the day it it came from the factory. Ohh, did I say I live in Germany?

Attachments

• y 020.JPG
    y 020.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 72
  • y 024.jpg
    y 024.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 72
  • y 001.JPG
    y 001.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 66
  • y 004.jpg
    y 004.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 73
  • y 022.JPG
    y 022.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
The decision would be easier if she did not run so well :p

If the car is mechanically right, I think it would be counter-productive to part it out. Keep up the good fight!

Chickenthunder, that's cool. Are you native German or a transplant? You will definitely look unique rolling around Europe in that SC!

Nickelman60 - PM sent!

Good to see the feedback, looks like maybe I will keep working on her. While she would never be more than a toy/hobby I love her power and ride, besides the restoration is half the fun right? ;)

Back