PDA

View Full Version : resonator .....?

jtwestify
09-24-2009, 11:09 PM
I have a 95 SC. Auto, what is the resonator everyones talkin about n the exhaust???? I want to run completly straight pipes, no Cats, no nothin.. juz straight duel exhaust.... is that safe???

sts70004
09-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Well the resonator is basically just a muffler. Doesn't really resonate or anything... Its plenty safe in terms of danger to your life to run straight pipes, but it was rather loud when I had my exhaust pipe off and I started it to get it off the wheel ramps. I can't imagine the cops leaving you alone with noise like that.

sts70004
09-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Oh and I might add that Cats do a noble job and no one ever gives them credit anymore...

jtwestify
09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
yea im in Cali... gota smog it before the Cats go... but they restrict the exhaust so I dont want em, but after I smog it.. i dont have to ever smog again, unless I sale the car.. well thats the Law in this county.. other counties vary...

jtwestify
09-24-2009, 11:18 PM
maybe ill juz keep the resonator .. and ditch the cats... lol

sts70004
09-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Try the opposite, you'd get much better results. The Resonator is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system, along with that little crimp attached to the resonator. For a more in depth look at the exhaust system, check out the exhaust system article on SCCOA. Here's a link

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwexhaust.php

You'll see the biggest restriction is the resonator. May go get some high-flow cats, I really do believe the world is a better place since they've been added to cars. Might get flamed for that comment though lol

kneedragger25
09-24-2009, 11:34 PM
How is it you only need to smog it once? I also live in cali my 04 explorer gets smog done every other year what is different with my 90 its not that old its only 18 years old

slowpoke
09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Try the opposite, you'd get much better results. The Resonator is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system, along with that little crimp attached to the resonator. For a more in depth look at the exhaust system, check out the exhaust system article on SCCOA. Here's a link

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwexhaust.php

You'll see the biggest restriction is the resonator. May go get some high-flow cats, I really do believe the world is a better place since they've been added to cars. Might get flamed for that comment though lol

im not saying in one bit that cats dont help the environment, however i dont see how they have really done any impact on making anything better. ive worked on aircraft for over a decade. 1 ea6b doing a 1hour flight produces more pollution then 20,000 cars do in a month. look at how many planes we have in the sky. attacking cars and trucks for pollution control is the same as trying to spit on a wild fire. its all just another way to scare the people into giving our government more money imo.

as for the cats with noise though, without the cats, your exhaust will be much louder, take out the res and mufflers and ya, im sure the cops will love ya. keep in mind some back pressure is good, if you do straight pipes you might want to see how much back pressure is needed to prevent back firing and you can regulate that by installing a pressure gauge near the manifold, then crimp the pipe until the preferred back pressure is achieved.

91BLOWNBIRD
09-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I say keep the cats ditch the resonator and do dual with cats all the way out the back

There are tons of SCs out there pushin 400hp that still have cats...mine is one of them and specially living in Cali

you could even do a dual in dual out 3-way cat that fits in the stock resonator location

Just my point of view

jtwestify
09-25-2009, 08:53 PM
How is it you only need to smog it once? I also live in cali my 04 explorer gets smog done every other year what is different with my 90 its not that old its only 18 years old

Depends on what county you live in.. I live in Tuolumne county... i used to live in El dorado county.. and it was every 2 years there.. but here its only when u sale a car...

sts70004
09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
im not saying in one bit that cats dont help the environment, however i dont see how they have really done any impact on making anything better. ive worked on aircraft for over a decade. 1 ea6b doing a 1hour flight produces more pollution then 20,000 cars do in a month. look at how many planes we have in the sky. attacking cars and trucks for pollution control is the same as trying to spit on a wild fire. its all just another way to scare the people into giving our government more money imo.

Oh no I agree, Airplanes are a huge source of pollution, but everything we can do helps. And cars really affect the environment on a local level more than anything else, from what I understand. Airplanes are a more global issue.

PReDiTR91
09-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Theres a nice duel exhaust kit (2.5") with no resonator for sale on ebay for a lil under 200 bux. You just need to get some down pipes made & ad mufflers of your choice.

talonhead
09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
I re-did my exhaust on my '93 manual. Hi-flo cats 2 1/4 (2) into a single 3" no resonator, after about 1/2 hour I had a headache from the drone! I'm gonna do it again with some sort of resonator/muffler (hi-flo) to get rid of the drone.
When I re-do the auto it will be true duals (bbf)
MikeH

PReDiTR91
09-25-2009, 09:55 PM
I agree with talonhead, get a magnaflow resonator...

sts70004
09-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I have yet to experience this drone with my resonator delete. I've got stock cats and stock mufflers however. If you're not doing the entire exhaust and you remove just the resonator and leave stock cats and mufflers I think it sounds nice. Without cats, or with different mufflers, and you'll need a resonator of some type.

91BLOWNBIRD
09-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Has less than 10,000mi on it

I have a pic but I don't know how to insert it...

slowpoke
09-26-2009, 04:06 AM
i ran punched cats, into stainless 2.5 pipes into 1 3inch stainless glasspack back into 2 2.5 inch pipes into 2 flowmaster 409's. you can here the engine over the exhaust at idle and its loud as heck when you get on it.

fturner
09-26-2009, 08:17 AM
Biggest restriction is the resonator so replace it. Next big restriction is the cats, so install some hi performance cats, even though "normal" ones flow really well.

The attitude is cats hurt performance alot is a falacy anymore as even regular aftermarket cats these days have such low restriction you'd never see the difference on the dyno or at the track unless you have a HUGE power'd motor (we're not there) and you where after the 0.0001 et in the 1/4. Gutting cats will hurt performance and that is recordable on the dyno and the 1/4. I know I have the numbers to prove it. So if you are considering gutting, do yourself a favour and install pipes if you can't afford cats. If you can then install them as they help with drone and help the environment at the same time.

Fraser

jtwestify
09-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Biggest restriction is the resonator so replace it. Next big restriction is the cats, so install some hi performance cats, even though "normal" ones flow really well.

The attitude is cats hurt performance alot is a falacy anymore as even regular aftermarket cats these days have such low restriction you'd never see the difference on the dyno or at the track unless you have a HUGE power'd motor (we're not there) and you where after the 0.0001 et in the 1/4. Gutting cats will hurt performance and that is recordable on the dyno and the 1/4. I know I have the numbers to prove it. So if you are considering gutting, do yourself a favour and install pipes if you can't afford cats. If you can then install them as they help with drone and help the environment at the same time.

Fraser

Ill keep the Cats... but want to run duel all the way to the back.. get rid of the resignator, and get some nice mufflers... thanks guys , I am just trying to get the flow so I can get a 10% OD pulley, I am also gona get a Double IC, and a fan.. 1st step is Cold air Intake... then exhaust... then intercooler, then Raised top... should boost me enough to be happy till i get some serouse cash..

slowpoke
09-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Ill keep the Cats... but want to run duel all the way to the back.. get rid of the resignator, and get some nice mufflers... thanks guys , I am just trying to get the flow so I can get a 10% OD pulley, I am also gona get a Double IC, and a fan.. 1st step is Cold air Intake... then exhaust... then intercooler, then Raised top... should boost me enough to be happy till i get some serouse cash..

for best bang for your buck, dont get the raised top yet, you wont have enough boost to need it, instead get underdrive pulleys or a chip. thats just my opinion :)