IC fan placement

Dahoopd

Just wondering where the best placement is. I have an IC with the inlet/outlet on the same side. Would it be better to have the fan near the inlet/outlet to cool as it enters/exits and the IC doing the rest. Or would it better to have it at the end so that the IC does the job first and the fan cools more after.

I know this sounds completely dumb but if the fan only covers one portion of the IC, it has to be cooler in that area than the rest.

Im assuming near the inlet/outlet so the IC has to cool less. Considering flow to the IC is restricted some.

I have the same style i/c and my 12" pusher fan is in the center of the core.

I didn't think about that.

I am assuming since everyone puts it in the center of the stock IC it would be the same for a FMIC? Does MP suggest placing the fan in the center?I just didn't know if it made any real difference as to where it was placed on the IC.

I have the same FMIC and I'm putting 2 of these fans:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-19127/

and thsi relay:

Perma-Cool 18902

I figure the more the merrier ;)

I was thinking of doing the same since I have an 8 inch fan for a 6 inch core, a waste. :rolleyes:

I should have mounted mine lower like your is. I placed it in the tray where the AC condensor was.

I should have mounted mine lower like your is. I placed it in the tray where the AC condensor was.

I probably would have too but I wanted to keep the '94 pusher fan on the radiator. Plus where it's mounted now it won't pick up any heat transfer from being sooooo close to the radiator.

Bad @$$ Little Fan

well that perma-cool fan is the smallest that I could find and pumps like 1800cfm

I think our IC core is 5.5" and that fan is 7" diameter so losing .75" on each end might not be too bad

I have the same FMIC and I'm putting 2 of these fans:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-19127/

I tried to buy one of those fans about a year and a half ago and summit wrote me saying perma cool stopping making them. So u might wanna call summit and make sure. I was very dissappointed. That 6" fan woulda been perfect for my 6" core.

I mounted my fan smack dab in the middle of the ic. The "vents" on each side of the front bumper seem to shoot straight to the ic.

I tried to buy one of those fans about a year and a half ago and summit wrote me saying perma cool stopping making them. So u might wanna call summit and make sure. I was very dissappointed. That 6" fan woulda been perfect for my 6" core.

I mounted my fan smack dab in the middle of the ic. The "vents" on each side of the front bumper seem to shoot straight to the ic.

just found it at jegs. 800-345-4545 . they say they have plenty in stock and can get more if the run out

whats almost sad is i believe that at 1800cfm 2 of these might push more air then the main cooling fan lol

Back