Lightning MAF overkill?

89tird

Hey guys, I was fixing up my shed and I found a spare lightning MAF with housing 90mm, that I had bought to Install on my crown vic for the SC kit, the kit brought one so this one is a spare, I know it would work on my 95sc with a tune, but do I need something so big ?

see mods in sig

Last edited:
I like it. Its a good MAF nd you can use the cost of a new MAF towars you rtune. Best when setup with a larger inlet and TB

woohoo so that means I dont need to buy a new MAF:D, now I need to save up for an MP Inlet and TB.

thanks

IMO its the perfect fit for the MP TB and 3.5 intake tube. I hav eteh filter adapters avalable for sale if you need one

Luckily I have a spare adapter too :D, thanks for the offer though, I was thinking of a buying a cheaper bbk tb, is the MP a lot better?

Its a shame really, a big huge thing like that and we've already had some folks outflow those things......

A maf is a maf is a maf, and really none is better than the other. The draw back to the lightening maf is it does require a tune to make it work (sorry couldn't resist the age old argument :p ).

For most average users around here, the stock 70mm is perfectly adequate, so if you setup is close to stock, stay with the stock MAF. I'm making about 300rwhp now and I could use the stock 70mm with no issues.

Fraser

I need a tune anyways to turn off my constant CEL light, maybe Im Installing 3.73 gears with track-loc, so that needs a tune also, then the Inlet, UD pullies, and TB. so to outflow the stock MAF, I would need to be making 400hp? if so I could sell the 90mm and spend the money on something else.

Does the price of the tune Increase if I start adding stuff like tune for gears and turn off EGR?

the price of a tune depends on how long they take to tune the car. so in a way, yes, the more modifications you have the more the tune costs because it will take longer to sort out all the little things to fine tune it.

My personal preference to tune my car is with a potentiometer and a scanner. for 5 bucks you can have yourself a nice little tune. (for mostly stock engines).

No, a stock MAF won't work with what you are planning. Fraser did not explain himself very well. There has been a common mismatch of terms which is really confusing people. "Flow" has been misused in this application.

"Flow" is a mechanical term which refers to the ability of air to move through the housing. A 90MM Lightning MAF flows about 1200cfm. A stock 70MM MAF flows about 680cfm. No currently running SC can flow enough air to be mechanically limited by a 90MM LMAF. The 680CFM capability of the stock 70MM MAF is good for close to 300rwhp which a lot of current SC's do reach, but would probably be within range of your needs, at least your short term ones.

However, the use of the term "Flow" to represent in any way the functionality of the electronic part of the MAF is incorrect. The mechanical ability of the housing to flow air vs. the electronic ability of the sensor to measure the air are two totally different things. The stock electronic sensor reaches it's limit to measure airflow at about 550cfm. A Lightning MAF reaches it's limit of ability to measure airflow at about 850cfm. A few SC's have exceeded 850cfm but it's not terribly common.

So in short, the size and mechanical ability of the meter to flow air is secondary to it's ability to measure that flow. Your stock meter is matched to your stock injectors and without modifications and a hands on tune, you cannot utilize it's airflow capacity beyond 550cfm. On the other hand, you can use the LMAF along with a tune to meet probably all of your airflow needs.

I do disagree with Damon somewhat on the "perfect fit" part in regards to the 3.5" MP intake. By running a bigger MAF than the tube that it connects to, you are forcing the air to make a step down into the intake tube. This creates turbulence and reduces flow. Will it work, sure. Is it perfect, no.

the price of a tune depends on how long they take to tune the car. so in a way, yes, the more modifications you have the more the tune costs because it will take longer to sort out all the little things to fine tune it.

My personal preference to tune my car is with a potentiometer and a scanner. for 5 bucks you can have yourself a nice little tune. (for mostly stock engines).

You need to teach me some of that!, maybe we could set up a local mini meet:D

No, a stock MAF won't work with what you are planning. Fraser did not explain himself very well. There has been a common mismatch of terms which is really confusing people. "Flow" has been misused in this application.

"Flow" is a mechanical term which refers to the ability of air to move through the housing. A 90MM Lightning MAF flows about 1200cfm. A stock 70MM MAF flows about 680cfm. No currently running SC can flow enough air to be mechanically limited by a 90MM LMAF. The 680CFM capability of the stock 70MM MAF is good for close to 300rwhp which a lot of current SC's do reach, but would probably be within range of your needs, at least your short term ones.

However, the use of the term "Flow" to represent in any way the functionality of the electronic part of the MAF is incorrect. The mechanical ability of the housing to flow air vs. the electronic ability of the sensor to measure the air are two totally different things. The stock electronic sensor reaches it's limit to measure airflow at about 550cfm. A Lightning MAF reaches it's limit of ability to measure airflow at about 850cfm. A few SC's have exceeded 850cfm but it's not terribly common.

So in short, the size and mechanical ability of the meter to flow air is secondary to it's ability to measure that flow. Your stock meter is matched to your stock injectors and without modifications and a hands on tune, you cannot utilize it's airflow capacity beyond 550cfm. On the other hand, you can use the LMAF along with a tune to meet probably all of your airflow needs.

I do disagree with Damon somewhat on the "perfect fit" part in regards to the 3.5" MP intake. By running a bigger MAF than the tube that it connects to, you are forcing the air to make a step down into the intake tube. This creates turbulence and reduces flow. Will it work, sure. Is it perfect, no.

Dave Im going to send you an email with all the stuff I need for my bird, maybe you could get them for me and then set me up with a mail order tune.

Dave My 90mm Transitions rather nicely to my 3.5" inlet with the adapter/coupling setup I have with barely any a bend. And the coupling I used to transition from the 90 to the 3.5 is very smooth ,,But yes 90mm is larger then 3.5"

And as been said the amount of airflow a meter can flow is independent of the HP it can support electronically. And visa versa . You can have a restriction from flow or from pegging the MAF

As far as a MAF being a MAF being a MAF. I still dont believe that. Seen to many tests on various MAFS where resolution was definitely an issue.

Heck there is a reason various MAFS use various different sampling methods.. There is also a reason manufacturers update their designs.

Whatever the case may be youde be spending over 100 for a new MAF and need a tune...SO why not save that 100 plus $ and put it towards your tune and not a different MAF.

But hey Im not a tuner

Back