Pulling Trailer with RV

SCrazy

SCCoA Member
For years my 3 kids have sat in the back of my F-150 crew cab for the trip to the shootout. But they are getting bigger (15/13/9) and I'm not really looking forward to a 14 hour trip with the three of them sitting shoulder to shoulder in the back of the truck.

Soooooooo.........

I have a bunch of points on my credit card that I could use to rent an RV and I'm thinking about doing it.

The big question is how will the RV pull my open car trailer. The RV place is claiming the motor and tranny will have no problem with the load but the RV does not have a break controller so I'll be relying on the RV brakes to stop both the RV and the trailer.

Anybody have experience pulling an open trailer (maybe 6000lbs gross) with an RV??

For years my 3 kids have sat in the back of my F-150 crew cab for the trip to the shootout. But they are getting bigger (15/13/9) and I'm not really looking forward to a 14 hour trip with the three of them sitting shoulder to shoulder in the back of the truck.

Soooooooo.........

I have a bunch of points on my credit card that I could use to rent an RV and I'm thinking about doing it.

The big question is how will the RV pull my open car trailer. The RV place is claiming the motor and tranny will have no problem with the load but the RV does not have a break controller so I'll be relying on the RV brakes to stop both the RV and the trailer.

Anybody have experience pulling an open trailer (maybe 6000lbs gross) with an RV??

Assuming the RV is based on an F350 or something like that chassis, I don't think brakes will be a problem. We towed an SC on an all steel deck trailer (pretty heavy) behind a Superduty F250 with no trailer brakes and I can tell you that was NO PROBLEM. You could barely feel the trailer back there. It had better brakes with the trailer back there than my Dodge has empty (which doesn't say much but still).

One thing I'm not sure on is if brakes are required beyond a certain axle weight. Might be worth a call to the DOT on that one.

If we can pull a 30 foot double stacker with two cars in it by the power of a 454 2000 Winnebago, then you should be able to pull one SC on an open trailer with any class C or above motorhome.

It should do fine. Certainly regardless of if the brakes will be up to the task or not, loosing those extra braking axles is going to increase stopping distances. Just take that into account, keeping a good gap between yourself and vehicles in front of you, and also any short exit ramps from the highway.

I think the RV Jen is talking to the place about is a 29' Class A with a 460ci motor.

Interesting thing is most places absolutely forbid towing anything with a rental but we've found one that will allow it.

Should be fine ive hauled SC's on trailers with no breaks with a 1/2 ton just have to be careful! if you are worried than rent a car hauler trailer from U-haul they have surge breaks..

But they are getting bigger (15/13/9) and I'm not really looking forward to a 14 hour trip with the three of them sitting shoulder to shoulder in the back of the truck.

So next year, the oldest can drive a second vehicle to the Shootout and you can use it as a chase vehicle ;)

Well the RV thing isn't going to happen.....NONE of the places around here will allow you to tow anything over 3000# with their RVs. Seems rediculous to me but they claim it's an insurance issue.

Oh well 14 hours with the kids in the pickup.....a real family bonding opportunity

Well the RV thing isn't going to happen.....NONE of the places around here will allow you to tow anything over 3000# with their RVs. Seems rediculous to me but they claim it's an insurance issue.

Oh well 14 hours with the kids in the pickup.....a real family bonding opportunity

Ah why did you tell them what you are towing. ;)
Uhaul will not rent me a trailer if i tell them I have an SC in one of their trailers. I have to lie to them about it an tell them its a Civic.

Back