a few issues

k_schutte

So I finaly got around to having the exhaust finished up on the SC. Took it to a local place calld "Big Jims Extreme Automotive" they did a HORRIBLE job, honestly think I could have an UNtrained monkey do a nicer job than they did but ANYWAYS... I finaly got around to driving it and I have a few issues

1. the brakes look new... you have to psuh HARD, literaly ALL the strength I could muster up to get the brakes to work. The pedal is right up top, you just have to push teh pedal EXTREMELY hard and no matter how hard I push they suck at stopping me.

2. I am pretty sure ALL of my idiot gauges are on. I remember, Check gages, check engine, brakes, ABS ( i think), seatbelt, door ajar, FIRM ride etc... I don't think there was a single one that wasn't lit up

3. I seem to have oil coming out of my dipstick. It started smoking pretty bad and I got out ot check it. there is oil all over the strut tower, IC pipiing header etc... everythign around the dip stick is covered in oil including the dipstick tube itself. Now the P.O. of the car "relocated" the dip stick tube in order to fit the headers (modified mustang headers) and when doing so removed the mount bracket form the tube leaving a couple small holes where the bracket was tacked. I used some JB Weld on teh holes then cover about 8" of the tube with a rubber hose (it was hell getting it over the dipstick tube it was such a tight fit) then clamped the crap out of the hose as well so I do not think that is the problem. I think it is coming directly out of the end of the tube.

4. the seatbelts are all kinds of funky. the drivers side is stuck all teh way back and just clicks for a while but never actualy moves. Sunroof doesn't open either.

Other than that the car is for sure a quick XXXXXX XXXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finaly got around to having the exhaust finished up on the SC. Took it to a local place calld "Big Jims Extreme Automotive" they did a HORRIBLE job, honestly think I could have an UNtrained monkey do a nicer job than they did but ANYWAYS... I finaly got around to driving it and I have a few issues

1. the brakes look new... you have to psuh HARD, literaly ALL the strength I could muster up to get the brakes to work. The pedal is right up top, you just have to push teh pedal EXTREMELY hard and no matter how hard I push they suck at stopping me.

2. I am pretty sure ALL of my idiot gauges are on. I remember, Check gages, check engine, brakes, ABS ( i think), seatbelt, door ajar, FIRM ride etc... I don't think there was a single one that wasn't lit up

3. I seem to have oil coming out of my dipstick. It started smoking pretty bad and I got out ot check it. there is oil all over the strut tower, IC pipiing header etc... everythign around the dip stick is covered in oil including the dipstick tube itself. Now the P.O. of the car "relocated" the dip stick tube in order to fit the headers (modified mustang headers) and when doing so removed the mount bracket form the tube leaving a couple small holes where the bracket was tacked. I used some JB Weld on teh holes then cover about 8" of the tube with a rubber hose (it was hell getting it over the dipstick tube it was such a tight fit) then clamped the crap out of the hose as well so I do not think that is the problem. I think it is coming directly out of the end of the tube.

4. the seatbelts are all kinds of funky. the drivers side is stuck all teh way back and just clicks for a while but never actualy moves. Sunroof doesn't open either.

Other than that the car is for sure a quick XXXXXX XXXXX

this reverts back to what ive already said, shops these days have an average of 3-5 workers, all but 1 of the people are right off of the street that doesnt hardly know how to turn a wrench and then they have 1 certified guy only because the law requires it.
as for your brakes it almost sounds like the electric assist pump is not active. try turning the key on, wait a few minutes and then push down on the brake. you should hear the pump run for the brakes. if not then im betting they didnt hook it back up or worse caused some problems for you.

as for your oil dip stick, well hard to say there, going way out on the limb here id say it almost sounds like they stuck it in a pressure port. if not that then dang you got some problems there.

for the belts and moon roof check your fuses, if you find some or even just 1 blown dont just replace it, its most likely blown due to them and you will have to track down the short. no point in even bothering the shop about it. way to hard to prove it was them, and if it was do you really want them to fix it?

Got the oil squirting dipstick tube taken care of and I also got the sunroof and seatbelts fixed for the most part... I think whatever/wherever the sensor is that tells the seatbelt if the doors is open or closed might be an issue though. if you open the pass. door all the way it thinks the door is closed and the seatbelt goes back. if you close it just a little bit from being all the way open, it goes back. If you open the door all the way and then close/open it an inch or so it will keep going back and forth. As for the dipstick tube. the crankcase ventilation was all capped off, fixed that all up and so more oil squirting....

So tomorow I have to check out the drivers window, the brakes, the idle issue, header leak and see why the hell I have power steering fluid flying EVERYWHERE now. Scared the ~~~~ out of me when I was in the middle of turning a corner and lost power steering!!! pump started whinning REALLY loud, I filled it up and still had no power steering. Even with the P.S. tank being full, I had no power steering so I am sure that isn't a good thing.

Your brake problem could be something as simple as a bad ABS pump motor relay.....

Check the pump motor for proper operation.....

Didn't get a whole lot done today because it is rainging like a MF'r and it is cold as a polar bears nipple outside... I did manage to fix my drivers window, I ended up just rebuilding the motor. Mine was spinning just fine when I took it out but with any resistance it wouldn't spin. I didn't know how easy of a fix it was at the time so I tore the whole motor apart but then i decided to just go to the junkyard and pull one. After about 10 minutes in the freezing cold rain I took it inside and the guy charged me $20.

Got it home and it didn't work, at all... so I took it back and told the guy what mine was doing and he told me what the problem was (the three plastic cylinder deals) which was cool but I had lost my little springs for the brushes out of my original motor so I needed those too now. ANYWAYS, he game me the three plastic deals I needed along with the junk motor and he refunded me $10. the top part of that motor was brand new pretty much, the bottom part was just junk from sitting for years i guess, It was pretty nasty. So i just threw the top piece of the junkyard motor on to the bottom piece of my motor and slapped it in there. She works great now! then I took the top piece that was in my SC and rebuilt it so now I have a spare in case it happens again....

As for the brakes, I think I am just in DESPERATE needs of new rotars, I looked at them today and they are bad. They where brand new when the car got stored along with the pads but after sitting for so long they are RUSTY. I thought may be drive a little bit and it would rub off or something but that didn't work. there is just a "glaze" over the rotors/rust that I think is my problem. I am going ot just spend $10 and have them turned for now.

What ever happened with your brake problem?

pump motor is frozen... took it down yesterday to have it rebuilt, car should be up and running this weekend. I have now gotten EVERYTHING taken care of EXCEPT the little exhaust leak and I have some rouge vacuum lines...

Back