PDA

View Full Version : S/C porting/port matching advice needed, Update

Hock
09-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm in the middle of doing some more wonderful upgrades to my SC and have a few questions about the supercharger and plenum when it comes to porting and port matching.

Today, I port match the TB side of the plenum and did some clean up work on the S/C side as well as port matching to the intake elbow clean and clean up were the intercooler tube mates to it. I also did some clean up work on the ic tubes to fix the terrible casting that was done on them. The intake manifold will be coming off so I can done some internal port work for the rear ports since cylinder number 6 was really lean and I need to measure for new push rods for the SCP rockers I just got.

Now my big question is about the S/C and plenum. I did a search on porting and saw ALOT of info and read that port matching the plenum to the S/C is not a bad idea. Since I have the S/C off I was thinking about doing some port work but am not sure what will be the bang for the buck and time. I don't want to just into this blindly and screw it up and I've seen dozens of pictures of home done port jobs, including the one where it looked like a beaver got a hold of one of our M90's.:eek::D Through all of them it is hard for me to get an accurate measurement on how much material I should take away from the opening and outlet. I also read that the outlet on the early models (which I have) are already too big for the inlet so the best method would be to raise the inlet to help balance it out.

I'm sorry for all the reading but I want to make sure that I do this right before I just jump into it and screw it up. I don't have the money to send it out to SCP to get it ported, if that service is even still available, so I only have one shot at it.

So let me know what you all have experienced and think. Thanks.

thunderkid84
09-29-2009, 10:26 PM
ok heres what ive read :

the oulet; you can open the "V" up pretty big but one thing u have to do is make sure it, (the V), lines up with the rotor tips however far u open it. normal porting makes the V 1/4" bigger. dont go averboard tho.

the inlet plenum; you can only do so much with it. port matching the tb and sc sides are about all you can do besides cutting and welding.

hope this helps

Hock
09-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Anybody else?

S_Mazza
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
See this thread for pics of what I did with mine. (Sorry about the GIANT pics.)

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101905&page=3&highlight=ported

any way u can get air to flow "under" the rotors is good. this is why in the later model sc, the port was much lower than the early style. for this reason, i ported as much as i could on the lower part of the inlet. i ported a little on the sides but left plenty to make a seal. and i saw no reason to do any porting on the top part of the inlet.

I disagree with that paragraph. The late-model inlet is actually higher than the early model, not lower. And it's wider. You really don't want the air to flow to the bottom of the case. The spinning rotor tips would push it out of there anyway. You want the air to move along the sides of the case and fill the cavity between the rotor and the case wall. That is why the Magnuson S-port ports the inside of the case, and the Magnum Powers blowers take it a whole step further and cast a totally different case with a huge wide inlet.

the oulet; you can open the "V" up pretty big but one thing u have to do is make sure it, (the V), lines up with the rotor tips however far u open it. normal porting makes the V 1/4" bigger. dont go averboard tho.

You can open the V, but I don't see a reason to. I mean, it's a lot of cutting, and I am skeptical about how much gain. I do recommend adding a radius to the inside edge.

DrFishbone
09-30-2009, 03:36 PM
See this thread for pics of what I did with mine. (Sorry about the GIANT pics.)

Dang Steve...did you have posters printed of your porting job?! :p

I haven't studied blower porting theories really, but I can tell you that the Magnuson S-port that I have does not have the bottom of the SC opening ported, but the sides, as Steve was talking about. The opening bottom (in the center) still has the original powdercoating -or whatever it is. I think there are some pictures around of Magnuson S-ports....

S_Mazza
09-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Dang Steve...did you have posters printed of your porting job?! :p

No, but I can get them made if you are willing to buy. :)

(I hadn't considered resizing until after I posted them. Actually, I don't even remember where those are hosted.)

I thought about opening up the blower bottom a little just to get more total area of the inlet ... but two things put me off. The first one was some stuff I had read in my research about the rotors not pulling effectively from that area. The second was the fact that I would have to remove a LOT of material from the bottom of the case, and there isn't much material in that part of the plenum. And I wasn't going to cut and weld. (I don't weld anyway.)

thunderkid84
09-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Steve, i read about getting air under the rotors in another porting thread and i believe it was Manny that said it. it also had a very convincing explanation to go along with it.

i'll have to post pics of my port job just to see what u guys think.

and i see you have an early model and i have a late model. so me telling you how to port your supercharger is kind of irrelevant and vice versa. know what i mean ?

fturner
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Look at it this way.... if allowing alot more air in from bottom instead of the leading edge of the rotors was alot better, then why did Eaton fill that area in on the later designs, and why did Charles not open that whole area up with the MPX?

Fraser

thunderkid84
09-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Yea ur right on the mpx. Hope I didn't mess up my blower.

It did, however, make 17 psi at 10% od at the track. So I don't think it's a bad blower.

S_Mazza
10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I guess if it's making 17 psi, you didn't do too badly. :)

Still, I agree with Fraser about the fact that Eaton filled that area in for a reason.

Hock
10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Ok, with some info from Steve the pics show what I plan to remove from the inlet.

I also attached two pics of the clean up work on the elbow. They are just a touch blurry, thats cause I took them with my BlackBerry.

But let me know if I'm on the correct course here.

S_Mazza
10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
That's what my inlet looks like from the outside. But the porting on the inside is important too. Are you planning to take the blower apart?

Hock
10-01-2009, 03:06 PM
That's what my inlet looks like from the outside. But the porting on the inside is important too. Are you planning to take the blower apart?

Yeah, is comin apart and gettin a solid coupler while I'm at it. I also got the pics you posted so I'm gonna use them as a reference for mine.

S_Mazza
10-01-2009, 04:38 PM
That's good. You really can't port it without taking it apart. I just wanted to make sure.

You know, I really didn't go very far with the flares I put inside the case near the inlet. The Magnuson S-port goes farther (although it starts with a late-model blower). If I had different tools, maybe I would have tried it.

Here is a picture of a Magnum Powers MPI or MPII from the inside. (First pic in the first post.)

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94951&highlight=s-port&page=2

Hock
10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Just got done porting the S/C and matching the plenum. Took around 3 1/2 to 4 hours to get it done. I'm satisfied with the results thus far though only after I drive will I really know how big of a difference this made.

What do you all think?

BTW, what grease should I use for the rear bearing?

S_Mazza
10-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I think it looks good. I would say you can go farther out on the inside of the case to the left and right. But I know it's hard to get at those areas with tools.

I think it could give you some nice gains as is, although it's hard to quantify.

For the grease - a lot of bearings come prepacked if you are installing new ones. If not, do a search - it's on here somewhere.

Coated rotors, by the way, can give you some nice gains too.

supercharged3.0
03-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Soooo... any difference was noticed or not?