PDA

View Full Version : Changing The Spark Plugs

TBRDSC
10-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Does anybody have any tips on this subject? It seems like more of a pain than it needs to be I guess :|. But. I guess that I want some advice before I get too heavily invested in something like changing the spark plugs when it could have been easier really :|.

S_Mazza
10-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Go from the bottom!

Mike8675309
10-01-2009, 08:37 PM
Depending on the year, it can be a little different. This is a helpful article on the 89 through 92 cars.
http://www.35thatr.org/Tips/PlugsandWires.htm

stigs
10-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Plugs are the bane of the SC existence...

On my '95:
Driver side, from underneath
Passenger side, remove intake tubing and grease up the outside of your hand and go from the top.

Oh yes, and be patient.

Cheers

shadow357x2
10-02-2009, 02:36 PM
dont forget the case of band-aids....

S

slowpoke
10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Plugs are the bane of the SC existence...

On my '95:
Driver side, from underneath
Passenger side, remove intake tubing and grease up the outside of your hand and go from the top.

Oh yes, and be patient.

Cheers

pretty much the same for 89-93, its helps free up a lil room by removing the mounting bolt for the a/c aswell. either way grease up your hand and arm, you'll have maybe 2 fingers in there to work on them. the driver side is easier from the bottom. all and all it should take you about 6 hours. have fun, make sure you have beer in the fridge, and maintain your cool. dont get mad and start beating the car with a large blunt object. :)

sinhumane
10-02-2009, 04:28 PM
iff your motor mounts are good, its easy from the bottom, takes me about 30 mins start to finish.

rzibilske77
10-02-2009, 04:37 PM
pretty much the same for 89-93, its helps free up a lil room by removing the mounting bolt for the a/c aswell. either way grease up your hand and arm, you'll have maybe 2 fingers in there to work on them. the driver side is easier from the bottom. all and all it should take you about 6 hours. have fun, make sure you have beer in the fridge, and maintain your cool. dont get mad and start beating the car with a large blunt object. :)

i hope this is a typo:eek:

89XR7TD
10-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Go from the bottom!

My first time doing plugs, I got both sides from the bottom and took about an hour.

just need the right tools with you and also band-aids:D

6hrs for maybe taking the motor out:p

Tom

Mike8675309
10-02-2009, 11:29 PM
On my 93, the wire harness runs along the heater tube. I busted that plastic thing and relocated it over towards the fender. Then with some WD-40 sprayed against my left hand/arm I can slip down and take care of all the passenger side plugs without too much drama. I still cuss.

Drivers side is easy now that I have the lower SC tube out of there. I can do those from the top after removing the intercooler tubes. Otherwise the bottom is best and not to bad on that side. No knock sensor or starter in the way on that side.

Takes me about 30 minutes to change plugs and wires on the 93. The 90 I use the instructions on the 35th registry website and get it done in under an hour.

pops90sc
10-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I just did the plugs on my 90'. All from the bottom, without removing anything. As suggested by one of the members, I purchased a stubby flex head ratchet, which made what seemed impossible, possible.

Took me about 2.5 hours to change the plugs. I took my time and occasionally stopped to look things up on this forum, since this was the first attempt at doing it myself.

As far as the comments about band aids and blood loss, I concur it was kind of like getting your forearms weed whacked.

The wire on the #4 plug did not want to come off. When it finally did, the terminal end ripped off. Off I go for new wires.

Took me another 2 hours to replace the wires. Again, not in a hurry. The only thing I removed was the air intake tube. I did use the dielectric grease on the new wires.

Runs good now. The miss is gone and I'm happy with the outcome.

It did not take nearly as long to drink the victory beers waiting in the fridge.

slowpoke
10-04-2009, 10:04 PM
i hope this is a typo:eek:

when i typed this i also assumed that the wires are an automatic thing to replace aswell. along with making sure nothing gets broken, and taking your time to make sure its done right, if out for just the plugs and to get it done in a hurry and cut your self up like Edward scissor hands, then ya i can see around 1 hour