PDA

View Full Version : Flaccid head rest

the-big-e
10-02-2009, 03:16 PM
The head rest on my 92 SC will not stay in the forward position......:mad:

It feels very loose and just flops back and forth......

I have a few good head rests from my parts cars, but they are all the wrong color.....:(

Can the head rests be taken apart......:confused:

How do you get them out of the seat back....

J.D.
10-02-2009, 08:57 PM
There are clips inside the seat back that hold the headrest. They are very difficult to remove with the seat cover in place. I don't think that they can be reinstalled without removing the seat cover, though you may not need them if you don't mind having the headrest come out of the seat back whenever you yank it up to adjust the height.
The headrest flops back and forth because the two plastic pieces that hold it to the metal frame are broken.

the-big-e
10-02-2009, 09:41 PM
How easy are these clips to remove.....

Can I reuse a set from another head rest.....

J.D.
10-02-2009, 10:32 PM
the clips inside the seat back are R-clips.
The plastic clips inside the headrest can be swapped, though it would be easier to swap only the headrest cover as it needs to come off in order to access the plastic clips. I think that the older cars (89 -90) have metal clips instead of plastic.

the-big-e
10-02-2009, 10:48 PM
How easy is it be to swap out the covers....

J.D.
10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Okay, it's been 6-7 years since I fixed mine. Now I remember what I did. I removed the headrest from the seat in the junkyard car but then decided not to replace the whole headrest because I didn't want to fiddle with the R-clips in my car. I was able to swap only the plastic clips which is easier to do with two pairs of hands. I think that I peeled back the headrest cover just enough to access the plastic clips. My headrest doesn't look like it's been opened.

the-big-e
10-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the info.....

I have a few bad headrests from some of my parts cars that I can "practice" on.....:p