A problem with a SC.. Something is not right. Help please!!!!!!

jtwestify

so, I whent to buy this 95 SC. Automatic, 120 K miles today, well I noticed the Batterly light was on.. so i changed the alternator in a parkin lot with a brand new one, the saler took it off the price of the car... well, car runs, looks great!! nice car, but, im driving home, and, well the batterly light comes on again, 30 Minutes later!!! after i bought the car... has a new battery, new alternator. well, battery is now dead because of whats goin on, but what would cause a brand new altinator to just get eatin up like that? no amps, no nothing, something is sucking the juice right outa it,... the saler has offered to give me my money back, which i think im going to do, I dont want a car with electricle problems, or problems at all, so im goin to get my cash back, unless any of you have any ideas what it may be, if its a cheap ez fix.... it is such a nice car, ran great, had alot of power, so help me out please!!1.

It is not unusually to get a bad alternator from a store. In fact it's pretty common on the SC alts, which are a 110 amp Mitsubishi alternator. Also, if the battery was low, the factory alternator will overheat and possibly fail if run with a discharged battery. It's not designed to charge a low battery, just maintain a fully charged battery.

That said, poor quality connections, bad battery cables, bad alternator cable. Something in the wiring. I don't know what you paid for the car, but if it's only a charging problem, it should be something that can be fixed pretty easy.

Just glance at book would either be bad alternator or bad ignition switch. Well could be a myriad of other things but start there.

I had this very same problem. Went through 3 replacement alternators and new battery. Turns out when I was changing the power steering pump, I had the alternator off (didn't remove battery cable duh) and it arced off on the frame. It turns out I blew the main fuse by the power distribution box. Its got its own cover and is pretty big. Check it to see if its blown. Heres a pic with the cover pulled up.

Attachments

• sept 09 001.JPG
    sept 09 001.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 94
so, I whent to buy this 95 SC. Automatic, 120 K miles today, well I noticed the Batterly light was on.. so i changed the alternator in a parkin lot with a brand new one, the saler took it off the price of the car... well, car runs, looks great!! nice car, but, im driving home, and, well the batterly light comes on again, 30 Minutes later!!! after i bought the car... has a new battery, new alternator. well, battery is now dead because of whats goin on, but what would cause a brand new altinator to just get eatin up like that?

On thing major not to do when replacing an alternator is to use the alternator to charge up an otherwise dead battery. Many replacements come with a tag that warns about this. Was the new battery completely charged when the new alt. was installed?

Always use a regular battery charger to bring the battery back up - not doing so will risk overheating the regulator/etc. in the new alt. and damaging it in the process.

It is not unusually to get a bad alternator from a store. In fact it's pretty common on the SC alts, which are a 110 amp Mitsubishi alternator. Also, if the battery was low, the factory alternator will overheat and possibly fail if run with a discharged battery. It's not designed to charge a low battery, just maintain a fully charged battery.

That said, poor quality connections, bad battery cables, bad alternator cable. Something in the wiring. I don't know what you paid for the car, but if it's only a charging problem, it should be something that can be fixed pretty easy.

I paid 700. its clean, Runs great other then a charging problem, verry clean car... drives great,

Back