flywheel part #'s

Ryan A Harris

So I just pulled a trans & clutch out of a 95 SC. I also have a flywheel from a 94 parts car from a while ago. When I put them side by side on my work bench they looked different. The thicknesses are different, and the one on the right has a large "pocket" in it, I guess for weight reduction purposes.

The one of the left has a part # RF E9SR 6380 DA

The one on the right has a part # RF E9SR 6380 CB

I am hoping to find out if these are both SC's flywheels and if they are a early or late model parts. The cars these parts came out of, I cannot confirm what was in them when I bought them. But both cars drove and shifted like they should have. Hoping for some clarity.

Last edited:
So I just pulled a trans & clutch out of a 95 SC. I also have a flywheel from a 94 parts car from a while ago. When I put them side by side on my work bench they looked different. The thicknesses are different, and the one on the right has a large "pocket" in it, I guess for weight reduction purposes.

The one of the left has a part # RF E9SR 6380 DA

The one on the right has a part # RF E9SR 6380 CB

I am hoping to find out if these are both SC's flywheels and if they are a early or late model parts. The cars these parts came out of, I cannot confirm what was in them when I bought them. But both cars drove and shifted like they should have. Hoping for some clarity.

the one on the right isn't from an SC unless they needed to remove that much weight to ZERO balance the flywheel. To me it looks like it's a flywheel for an externally balanced motor. SC's are internally balanced. My guess is someone threw a 3.8 NA motor into and SC and then sold the car off.

Those are both 89 T-Bird stamping numbers, but I can't get those I.D. numbers to cross over in the parts catalogue. Could the weird one on the right be from an early 89 with a Duracast crankshaft? Those ones did use a different flywheel and balancer. And the CB suffix on the I.D. number is earlier than the DA on the regular looking flywheel.

cheers
Ed N.

Back