PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis area people: Heading to track on 10/20/2009

Kurt K
10-06-2009, 03:52 PM
A few of us will be heading to Gateway International Raceway on Tuesday, 10/20/2009 to compete in the Street Tire Shootout series (the last event of the year). Post in this thread (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109956) if you plan on attending.

Last Tuesday's event on 10/13 was cancelled due to weather.

David Neibert
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Team David is planning to put the raw HP Beat Down on Kurt....be there or be square.

David

Payton
10-06-2009, 06:04 PM
No, how far is it from Toronto?;)

racecougar
10-07-2009, 12:12 AM
St. Louis are people, huh? Interesting. :D

Kurt K
10-07-2009, 07:43 AM
St. Louis are people, huh? Interesting. :Dsupposed to be area, but I type so fast that the keyboard didn't detect the a at the end :D:rolleyes:

racecougar
10-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Alright, barring any major holdups, I plan on running Tuesday night. We should have the 10 second Sonoma there, too.

David Neibert
10-16-2009, 11:05 AM
This has been rescheduled for Tuesday October 20th, because of rain.

David

Kurt K
10-19-2009, 09:05 AM
This has been rescheduled for Tuesday October 20th, because of rain.

David
Be there or be square :cool:

David Neibert
10-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Be there or be square :cool:

I'll be there...just hope those 9 second Buick guys don't show up.

David

ScrapSC
10-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeh we have one of those at MP Dragway. There are usually 4 of them when they show up. One running high 9.90's, one in the 10's and the other two in the 11's.

jerseymike68
10-20-2009, 10:20 PM
thanks for the post....:D

CMac89
10-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Sooooo....How did it go?

VicRattlehead
10-20-2009, 11:52 PM
well??????????

ScrapSC
10-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Yes! Yes! tell us what happened! :eek:

David Neibert
10-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Sooooo....How did it go?

Track was extremly crowded and we sat in the staging lanes for well over an hour just making our first pass. We didn't end up side by side but were within a few cars of each other...Kurt ran first and even though he spun the tires hard he still posted an impressive 11.90 @ 115 (his best time for the Streetcar Shootout series) and I ran an 11.89 @ 116. On that pass I tried launching from an idle to zing the converter to a higher stall and nailed the gas pedal just as the second light was going off. Car didn't like it and hesitated breifly, and then I screwed up the 1-2 shift and hit the rev limiter..RT was a dismal .441.

After a very breif ice down in the pits, we got back in line and waited a couple more hours to make a 2nd pass. There was a pretty serious wreck on the track that took fovever to clean up, so Kurt went up to the tower to pick up his pictures from a previous Streetcar Shootout win, and the guy who runs the program told Kurt that at this point Kurt and me were the quickest 2 (less than 8 cylinders) cars except for Hubers low 9 second 4 cylinder Mustang and since he always withdrawls from the competition, it would likely be an SC vs. SC final. After sitting another hour or so in the staging lanes we decided to get out of line and go to the pits, because we didn't want to have to hot lap the cars in the final race.

Unfortunately for Kurt, Huber decided to stay in the competition so Kurt got bumped from racing in the final round. Kurt got back in line to make a second pass, and ended up getting screwed by the track officials running the staging lanes. Prior to Kurts last pass they ran the finals for quick 4, truck and sport tuner class and when it was finally my turn against the turbo mustang I decided to try a new launch strategy.

Instead of launching from an idle I held the throttle at around 1500 rpms, and instead of waiting for the 3rd light to come on I hit the gas when the 2nd light came on. Car launched clean with no stumbles and much to my surprise the I saw a green light on the tree as I was passing it. I'm about to the 1/8 mile and still haven't seen the turbo mustang in the next lane. Just about the time I started thinking he broke something, he flew past me like I was sitting still (122 mph vs 92 mph 1/8 mile). As expected, he ended up killing me with a mid 9 second pass at 153 mph to my 11.74 @ 118.

I knew I had cut a pretty good light, but damn near fainted when I got the timeslip and saw that I had a near perfect .005 RT . Kurt's second pass was a 12.0, so it looks like this round went to Team David :)

David

Kurt K
10-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Kurt's second pass was a 12.0, so it looks like this round went to Team David :)

Yes, Team David won the virtual race, but David pointed out an interesting fact while we were standing in the staging lanes....he had been reviewing timeslips and discovered that I hadn't won a race against prior to my Shootout victory for more than 4 years. At least I know Team Kurt gets it done when it counts :p

frdlvr30
10-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Good story David. Was this at Gateway? Is that place always that crowded? Congrats on the .005 RT!!!!

neverfastenough
10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
David, you owned that tree.

Corey

Ira R.
10-21-2009, 11:56 AM
.005 :eek: Well, there goes that excuse! :D

Great runs guys.

Ira

frdlvr30
10-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Oh, and you need to change your Avitar to read as follows "It always counts"...

Kurt K
10-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Good story David. Was this at Gateway? Is that place always that crowded? Congrats on the .005 RT!!!!It was at Gateway and it is not usually that crowded, but this was the last official Test-n-Tune of the year. There is another on Saturday October 31st, but I wouldn't want to count on the weather.

frdlvr30
10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
It was at Gateway and it is not usually that crowded, but this was the last official Test-n-Tune of the year. There is another on Saturday October 31st, but I wouldn't want to count on the weather.

Yes, that seems to be the case with the weather out there. I'd be upset if I went to test and tune and only got to run twice!!. After watching both you guys run at the shoot out, it sounds like neither of you had as much traction as you did then. Both of you are .3 slower....

Kurt K
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes, that seems to be the case with the weather out there. I'd be upset if I went to test and tune and only got to run twice!!. After watching both you guys run at the shoot out, it sounds like neither of you had as much traction as you did then. Both of you are .3 slower....
I know I could have had at least one more run, but I decided to hang in the pits and help David unload his car...and then waited for him to tech and Rod to show up. I was in charge of holding pit spaces. As it turns out, my trailer fender in the space next to my trailer wasn't enough of a clue for the guy who moved it so he could park.

As for traction, I've never hooked better anywhere than Muncie. Norwalk was great when the Shootout was there, but I wasn't making as much power as I am now.

frdlvr30
10-21-2009, 04:06 PM
I know I could have had at least one more run, but I decided to hang in the pits and help David unload his car...and then waited for him to tech and Rod to show up. I was in charge of holding pit spaces. As it turns out, my trailer fender in the space next to my trailer wasn't enough of a clue for the guy who moved it so he could park.

As for traction, I've never hooked better anywhere than Muncie. Norwalk was great when the Shootout was there, but I wasn't making as much power as I am now.

That starting line track worker at Muncie took care of that track like it was his 2 year old daughter. I have never seen anyone constantly prep the starting line like that....What was the yellow powder anyway?

David Neibert
10-21-2009, 06:02 PM

Kurt and I have been going over to Gateway since 2000 and there have been many times where all we got was 2 passes. It's not real good for testing or tuning if it takes 2.5 hours between passes. Other times you could run 10 times if you wanted to. Given the needed cool down time, 4 or 5 passes would be about the max possible.

David

PS: All that waiting time we had in the staging lanes actually worked in my favor for something last night. While standing around bored to death after an hour and a half or so I decided to pop open my washer fluid tank (for Snow meth injection system) to see how much boost juice I had left after making one pass.

It was completly empty :eek: :eek:

The hose that used to go to the windsheild washer nozzels had broken at the checkvalve or whatever it was and dumped all the contents on the ground. Lucky I grabbed a few bottles of Heet and a gallon of washer fluid on the way to the track. Staging lanes were moving so slow I was able to walk over to the pits and mix up a batch of boost juice, grabbed a couple zip ties and a flashlight and we were back in business.

XR7 Dave
10-21-2009, 06:15 PM
The hose that used to go to the windsheild washer nozzels had broken at the checkvalve or whatever it was and dumped all the contents on the ground.

Well that's 2 now. :eek: I guess that plastic doesn't like Meth or something. :confused:

ET's look pretty good considering the conservative nature of that tune. Probably has an 11.50 in it eventually or with a little race gas.

CMac89
10-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Good job, guys. It sucks whenever you only get a couple of passes in. You went 122mph at the Shootout, so you should be able to run 11.40s given your current setup.

frdlvr30,

The yellow powder roughs up bald spots in the starting line and adds durability to the traction compound.

David, with the larger stroke, did your car peak at a lower RPM than it used to?

BTW, Happy Birfday, Kurt!!

David Neibert
10-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Well that's 2 now. :eek: I guess that plastic doesn't like Meth or something. :confused:

ET's look pretty good considering the conservative nature of that tune. Probably has an 11.50 in it eventually or with a little race gas.

Dave,

Yeah it leaked in the same exact spot. We just folded over the end of the hose and zip tied it real good.

What do you mean by "with a little race gas" ? Are you talking about using less than the 50/50 mix of 110/93 octane I've got in the tank now or increasing the timing a couple degrees with the race gas ?

Feels pretty strong on the top end, it's just needs a little more snap coming off the line. Next week I'm planning to put it on the local dyno and see how it compares to the old motor's dyno charts.

David Neibert
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
David, with the larger stroke, did your car peak at a lower RPM than it used to?

I don't think so, but I've yet to do a pull on my local dyno with the tune completed. BTW, the cam was changed to match the increased displacment.

David

Kurt K
10-21-2009, 11:29 PM
BTW, Happy Birfday, Kurt!!

Thanks Casey

seawalkersee
10-22-2009, 02:58 AM
Is there any video of your guys runs? I saw one of that mustang on youtube where he had the front off the ground for a good portion of the track. Scary at those speeds.

SWS

Kurt K
10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Is there any video of your guys runs? I saw one of that mustang on youtube where he had the front off the ground for a good portion of the track. Scary at those speeds.

SWS
Not sure if Rod got any video on his camera. My camcorder stayed in my truck, since my buddy who would normally film didn't show.

XR7 Dave
10-22-2009, 08:46 AM
What do you mean by "with a little race gas" ? Are you talking about using less than the 50/50 mix of 110/93 octane I've got in the tank now or increasing the timing a couple degrees with the race gas ?

I wasn't aware that you had race fuel in the car. Either that or I forgot. The tune I sent you is a pump gas tune. How's the check engine light situation?

David Neibert
10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
I wasn't aware that you had race fuel in the car. Either that or I forgot. The tune I sent you is a pump gas tune. How's the check engine light situation?

Dave,

The car has been sitting in the garage since the Shootout. Since we were planning to race a week ago, I just left the race wheels/tires on the car. I'm running it on the same 50/50 mix of 110 and 93 octane that was in the tank at the Shootout. Only thing I've done is check fuilds, add a couple more gallons of fuel and switched the chip. At the Shootout I decided to play it safe and raced it on the pump gas tune.

Haven't driven the car on the street since installing the new chip, so I don't know about the CEL yet. I'm planning to put the street tires back on this weekend and if the rain stops falling I'll take it for an extended drive and see if it throws a light.

David

David Neibert
10-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Just found out the tune I raced on Tuesday night had 3 degrees less WOT timing than what I had at the Shootout, and the car was still quick enough to get into the (less than 8 cyl) final race :cool:

Now that the cooling issues and tune are pretty much squared away, I'm going to try and get some current dyno numbers one day next week.

David

Kurt K
10-23-2009, 06:02 PM
....and the car was still quick enough to get into the (less than 8 cyl) final race :cool:
Only .01 seconds fast enough:mad:

racecougar
10-23-2009, 07:59 PM
I haven't had a chance to see what actually made it onto the camera yet, but I do know that at the very least, David's run in the finals was taped...and that my sole pass of the night wasn't. :rolleyes:

David Neibert
10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Only .01 seconds fast enough:mad:

Yeah...Thats too close for comfort.

CMac89
10-24-2009, 01:57 AM
Just found out the tune I raced on Tuesday night had 3 degrees less WOT timing than what I had at the Shootout, and the car was still quick enough to get into the (less than 8 cyl) final race :cool:

Now that the cooling issues and tune are pretty much squared away, I'm going to try and get some current dyno numbers one day next week.

David

David,

Do you use QH now, or do you still have the SCT stuff?

Kurt K
10-24-2009, 08:36 AM
David,

Do you use QH now, or do you still have the SCT stuff?
David is still using SCT stuff.

David Neibert
10-24-2009, 02:31 PM
David is still using SCT stuff.

True, but it was tuned using the QH stuff.

David

David Neibert
10-28-2009, 02:47 PM

SWS

Chris,

Here is a picture and video of the finals.

http://vimeo.com/7191896

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/BKP2005/2009%20SCSS%20Images/10-20STSSRUNEIBERT.jpg

David

nickleman60
10-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Chris,

Here is a video of the finals.

http://vimeo.com/7191896

David

Sounds like you were spinning alot. Damn if that Mustang didn't get up and go..........:eek:

frdlvr30
10-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Wow Dave,
You killed him on that light!!! That was impressive! Seriously....

David Neibert
10-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow Dave,
You killed him on that light!!! That was impressive! Seriously....

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever cut a better light that that one...I better frame it.

David