removing 5 speed tranny

fast89

can any one tell me how to remove a 5 speed tranny out of an 89 sc and what tools i will need

remove the starter, remove exhaust, remove 4 drive shaft bolts, remove the 2 front mounting bolts for the pumpkin and pull it down as far as it will go, slide the drive shaft back over the top of the pumpkin. if you do this correctly it will slide enough to remove the drive shaft from the tranny. you can remove the 2 aft bolts aswell for more room but not needed. remove all wires. remove hyd line from slave cylinder. you will need a very fine and small flat head screw driver or like device for this. remove console top from inside the cab. remove the shifter top shaft. it does help but not needed to remove the floor board plate aswell. (you will need a 10 and 8 mm socket) and a phillips screw driver. remove the cross member. remove the bell housing bolts. push the tranny back about 2 inches then lower it slowly. make adjustments as needed while lowering.

exhaust 15mm, swivel, extension
drive shaft 1/2 wrench and hammer works well
cross member 18&21mm
bell housing 1/2 wrench, 1/2 socket, swivel, 12-18 inches of extension. breaker bar ext. expect bolts to be tight, expect to have to do what you need to do.
i forget what the pumpkin sizes are but ill be under it tomorrow so ill get back to ya.
any questions feel free to pm me as i might not revisit this post other then to get back to you about the pumpkin bolt sizes. :)

please note that these bolts, nuts, ext. are old and tight, i implore you do not use cheep tools. use craftsman or better for a sure fit. expect braking bolts, tools and fingers. you might want to drain the fluid. this is not needed but if you luck out and it tips to far back you'll make a nasty smelling mess that wont go away for about a week. all of this is not out of a book or from what im told but from experience. enjoy :)

Last edited:
Back