Cornering Lamps

BlckWingdBird95

Has anyone ever installed the early model cornering lamps on a later model Thunderbird. Would they actually fit where they would need to be and can they be wired in properly ? Any Input on this would help:D

??

All 89-95 Lights are interchangeable.

While the lamps are identical across years, the bezels are not. Early years use a 'deeper' bezel.

Mixing a later bezel with an early car leaves a gap between the inside edge of the bezel and the surface of the lens/light. Light from the lamp escapes inside the fender/skirt and debris can lodge in the gap.

Mixing an early bezel with a later car would result in the assembly not closing up on the surrounding area while the bezel would sit flush on the lens before correctly clamping the fender/skirt.

White lights

Im not refuring to the Amber color corner blinker light along side the head light. Im refuring to the lower clear cornering lamps that light up around the corner as you are turning. They come on simultainiosly with the blinker.There only on early models MN12 89-90ish and there optional at that.

Im trying to do the same thing except for my 95. I like to see what my SC is turning into like maybe a curb or pot hole if you get my drift. maybe I am wrong but are the early models the older ones? I think I just confused myself on this... the tbirds past 95 I dont think had the lamps

Last edited:
All of the 89-93 Thunderbirds have the connectors in the main wire harness for these lights according to the electrical schematics I have. That made it easier to install them if the build sheet had them when on the line or if the customer wanted them after the car was delivered. If you want to add them you can usually find the pigtail harness in the salvage yard and they plug right into the main harness. We bought all the parts at a salvage yard when I added them to a 92 for a friend. Only hard part was pulling the bumper cover off to cut the holes along the imprint lines already marked in the back side of the bumper cover.

As far as going on a 94/95, I don't know if the connectors are in the main harness for the cornering lights. I thought someone else posted up about doing this mod to their 94/95 a couple of months ago.

well I have some kind of connector inside the bumper. I just finished converting the headlamps to a 96 and when the bumper was off it had a raised rectangle in both sides and a harness dangling where the side lamps would be. at first I thought maybe the driving lamps but they are still plugged into the lamps.

On my BMW I aim the fog lights to point around corners to achieve this function. The fog lights on my Tbird were non-operational and I have yet to spend any time on them to see why they're not working. I would do the same thing on the Tbird but am unsure if the deep recess would prevent this technique. Fog lights are useless on our cars because they won't turn on independently of the headlights thereby defeating their purpose, but I'll save that for a different tirade.

Back