95 SC Overhaul....?

jtwestify

I have a Tbird SC. its a 95, Auto, anyone ever paid a shop to get new pistons and rings? do they pulll the motor out? how much does it cost? at a shop that is...

I spun a rod bearing hundreds of miles away and a border away from home. Had to leave it down there and it cost about $5K, including longer H-beam rods and .030 over forged pistons ($1200). There was quite a bit of machining, including crank, block and milling the heads. I already had too much invested in it to just abandon and towing it back wasn't an option.

If it had happened up here, I could have done it for half that, doing all except the machining myself. Even then, I might have considered parting out my low mileage (60K) '94.

There are less expensive rod/piston combos than was available back then.

I have a Tbird SC. its a 95, Auto, anyone ever paid a shop to get new pistons and rings? do they pulll the motor out? how much does it cost? at a shop that is...

Does it have bad compression ? Paying a shop youre looking upwards of $2000+ .. depending on how much work it needs and if you pull the motor out yourself. Youre lookin into a rebuild for the lower half of the block, might as well measure then bore or hone the cylinder walls while youre at it and balance the rotating assembly, then top it off with a BHJ balancer.

- Dan

Does it have bad compression ? Paying a shop youre looking upwards of $2000+ .. depending on how much work it needs and if you pull the motor out yourself. Youre lookin into a rebuild for the lower half of the block, might as well measure then bore or hone the cylinder walls while youre at it and balance the rotating assembly, then top it off with a BHJ balancer.

- Dan

well, I Have a little noise comin form the engine.. sounds like a piston rattle or somethin, did a oil change, put some engine friction reducer.. says to stop knocking.. its similar to slick 50, thoughnt maybe it was the octane.. but i use 91, tried some booster. still has a little knocking, or rattle in there, either piston i believe, or rod bearing... its just so minor though, but it runs great, strong, juz bugs me!!!

You know I had a noise like that in my engine compartment. It turned out to be my Jackshaft bearing. Try taking off all your belts and start your car for a few seconds to see if the sound goes away.

you know you have to run 93 oct right? maybe all you were hearing is a spark knock.....

I run 91 Octane... cant get 93 here, dont think i have ever seen 93 for sale at any gas statino.... but I also used octane booster to see if it would go away.. it didnt... , its not a spark knock, its definetly a bearing or a piston.. just very minor, its such a nice car. I would like to get it rebuilt someday,, but im sure ill just sale it after it starts gettin worse, it only does it at a stop, doesnt do it when i floor it gion down the rd. just in park, and when i rev it to around 3,000 rpm, and you just barely hear it,

I run 91 Octane... cant get 93 here, dont think i have ever seen 93 for sale at any gas statino.... but I also used octane booster to see if it would go away.. it didnt... , its not a spark knock, its definetly a bearing or a piston.. just very minor, its such a nice car. I would like to get it rebuilt someday,, but im sure ill just sale it after it starts gettin worse, it only does it at a stop, doesnt do it when i floor it gion down the rd. just in park, and when i rev it to around 3,000 rpm, and you just barely hear it,

My jackshaft bearing was the same way. Quiet when revved, it was noisier when idling.

Back