Pulled codes, now i need help

thunderkid84

I just did a KOEO test on the SC and cam up with a 15 "hard" code and 11 continuous memory.

the book says a code 15 is failure in Electronic Control Assembly

the book talks about the eca as being the main engine control system.

do i have a bad EEC ?

Last edited:
>do i have a bad EEC ?

Possible...

15 is Keep Alive Memory test

11 is PASS (OK)

-=-=-=-

The Keep Alive Memory (KAM) within the processor must always have voltage supplied to it. This voltage is supplied by the Keep Alive Power (KAPWR) circuit (Pin 1) that connects directly to the battery. KAM contains adaptive parameter tables that allow the processor to adapt to different operating requirements. It also contains the Continuous Memory codes. Continuous Memory codes will be erased any time KAPWR is disconnected (i.e. battery disconnected, processor disconnected, breakout box installed, open in the wire, etc.). If KAM fails within the processor, all Continuous codes will also be erased.

Clear all codes, make sure a fully charged and reliable battery is in the car... and test again.

Last edited:
thanks for the response KMT

i read thru some old posts and Dahoopd actually came up with the same code on one of his tests and XR7dave said thats common for computer with chips in them and to ignore it.

so i went back out and went on to the KOER test and it came up pass.

so i did a cylinder balance test and got "9" which is a pass also.

i then erased the continuous memory codes and unplugged the battery. i'm about to go back out right now and connect it and drive around for awhile.

well it still has that really crappy cold start.

its funny cuz after resetting the battery it started right up and the motor was pretty cool.

but this morning it struggled to start again.

this makes me think its an electrical problem

I believe the 15 code means you have a chip that something wasn't turned off or something in that nature???Its not a major issue I believe tho.

Nevermind, saw what you had wrote about what XR7DAVE had said.

Tom

Last edited:
Can someone tell me why it starts fine after the battery is reset and everytime thereafter it has trouble ?

Makes me think it's electrical related. I'm gonna check the spark plugs.

Could it be the cam sensor.....again ?

if it was the cam sensor a code would pop for that i would think. when you reset the pc it will stay in default if it detects something wrong, on the next start up its trying to correct the problem making it run bad.

A bad cam sensor doesn't always show a code.

The other day after re-connecting the battery it took 3 or 4 tries to get it to turn over.

That makes me think the cam sensor is bad and the ecu is running it at default already.

Can someone tell me why it starts fine after the battery is reset and everytime thereafter it has trouble ?

The EEC relearns the sensors and your driving style all over again.

• Don't install used parts
• Double-check all grounds/ground paths
• Confirm sufficient voltage in system
• Take the above as seriously as your budget allows :)

I had to get a FPR to solve my cold start problems and turn up the fuel pressure. I now have warm start problems but it still starts (need a tune). Also keep in mind the computer has to relearn some start top sequences. I'm not sure if thats the case when chipped. I read on tccoa that when you first connect the battery, make sure you come to complete stops or it will throw off the computer.

I had to get a FPR to solve my cold start problems and turn up the fuel pressure. I now have warm start problems but it still starts (need a tune). Also keep in mind the computer has to relearn some start top sequences. I'm not sure if thats the case when chipped. I read on tccoa that when you first connect the battery, make sure you come to complete stops or it will throw off the computer.

that could be it tony.

i may just try a new cam sensor and if it doesnt work i'll take it back.

the cam sensor thats in there is only about 2 yrs old. i think its an autozone brand....whatever is it they sell.

Back