Ignition switch actuator

blksc

The rod that connect through the column to the ignition switch is broken. is there a right up with nice pictures that show how to replace the rod? I have some repair folks telling me the $14.00 rod will cost anywhere from 160-320 to replace.

I don't know of a write-up, but it should be dirt-simple to replace the rod. A FSM would be helpful, but probably not necessary. Just pull the column shroud pieces off to expose the switch, rod and key cylinder. You'll probably need to remove the key cylinder and the ignition switch. The rod removal should be fairly self-evident.

I've never specifically replaced the rod myself, but have had switches and cylinders out. I'll bet this is an under-an-hour job. I think the only somewhat special tool needed is a safety-Torx bit to remove the bolts holding the ignition switch.

Worst-case; hit the Pick-N-Pull for an entire column assembly, and just swap your key cylinder. Would probably cost a fraction of what they're estimating for the rod replacement.

Good Luck,

JD

Swapping the steering column sounds like an easier job. i will check out the factor repair manual to see if they have a good diagram to go by.

Doubt you'll find a good diagram.

I've had to totally rebuild my dad's F150 column a couple times. Its no big deal.

The Help section of a good parts store might have the rod; if not get it rewelded or make on out of round stock. The one for F150s are available so I figure ours would be too.

The hardest part is finding the correct tools/bits to remove the fasteners.

If you have access to a parts car in the junkyard, take an assortment of TORX bits and go pull things apart until you get down to the rod. You'll have to remove the surrounding bezels, the lower dash plate and the steering column mount...lower the column and start pulling the linkage and the lock cylinder so you can manipulate everything until you get down to the rod itself.

Doing it this way will let you save paying someone else while learning what needs to be done on your car without risking tearing it up as part of that process.

All makes sense. I called ford and they have the part in stock for like 14 bucks. But i heard there was some trick to unloading the tilt spring etc.. Would be nice to have a bit more info on the repair.

Switching columns

Since i've never broken down the column before im thinking of just swapping steering columns from one of the many SC's in the junkyards near me.

Are the steering columns interchangable? Or will I need to find a matching year car to take the column?

anyone out there have a diagram or a picture of knowledge on how to replace the lil rod that connects to the ignition switch?

I'd say the only issue would be Air bags, since don't all SC have Cruise and tilt.

Hmm good point.. but if i just took the column and not the steering wheel would it all still work? I guess the easier option is just to grab one from a 94/95.

Ummmmm

The rod that connect through the column to the ignition switch is broken. is there a right up with nice pictures that show how to replace the rod? I have some repair folks telling me the $14.00 rod will cost anywhere from 160-320 to replace.
There is a recall on the ignition switch by the way.

I don't know of a write-up, but it should be dirt-simple to replace the rod. A FSM would be helpful, but probably not necessary. Just pull the column shroud pieces off to expose the switch, rod and key cylinder. You'll probably need to remove the key cylinder and the ignition switch. The rod removal should be fairly self-evident.

I've never specifically replaced the rod myself, but have had switches and cylinders out. I'll bet this is an under-an-hour job. I think the only somewhat special tool needed is a safety-Torx bit to remove the bolts holding the ignition switch.

Worst-case; hit the Pick-N-Pull for an entire column assembly, and just swap your key cylinder. Would probably cost a fraction of what they're estimating for the rod replacement.

Good Luck,

JD

This is a much more involved job than swapping a lock cylinder or replacing the ignition switch. The entire column has to be disassembled. Is it doable? Yes, especially if you are good at taking things apart and reassembling them. Beware that there are alot of parts. It also has to be timed correctly going back together for the tilt steering and more importantly the lock cylinder to ignition switch timing. It is about a Four hour job start to finish for someone that knows whats going on. I have done many of them....just take your time. Take the entire column out of the car. It is easiest if you remove the steering wheel before removing it from the car though. Rest of it need to be done outside the car on a large table...Good luck....

Pictures of the ignition switch rod.

Could anyone post a picture of what the ignition switch rod/linkage looks like and maybe pics of their removal and repair? Seems like a common problem but no write ups, or threads with pictures.

Any help would be great!

I dont think there are any write ups on this. Get you a factory service manual. It will have the blow-up of what is going on. Cant really describe for you how to do it. It is pretty involved. Just a lot of parts. If you have no confidence in this. Do like you said and go buy a junkyard column. That will be the easiest for you....

I dont think there are any write ups on this. Get you a factory service manual. It will have the blow-up of what is going on. Cant really describe for you how to do it. It is pretty involved. Just a lot of parts. If you have no confidence in this. Do like you said and go buy a junkyard column. That will be the easiest for you....

+1 ... This job is essentially simple, but is also a pain in the butt. I would agree, it'll probably take 4 hours. You need to get the column out, split the upper and lower halves (watch out for the spring tension, an extra pair of hands would be nice), remove some E-clips or snap rings, and make your way to the rod. The rod is really 2 rods joined by a pin of some sort, which allows it to work even though the column flexes in the middle. The 2 rod halves swivel around the pin, see what I mean? Install the new rod. Then just reverse the process (again with the extra pair of hands to help you put the 2 halves back together, and you are done.

+1 ... This job is essentially simple, but is also a pain in the butt. I would agree, it'll probably take 4 hours. You need to get the column out, split the upper and lower halves (watch out for the spring tension, an extra pair of hands would be nice), remove some E-clips or snap rings, and make your way to the rod. The rod is really 2 rods joined by a pin of some sort, which allows it to work even though the column flexes in the middle. The 2 rod halves swivel around the pin, see what I mean? Install the new rod. Then just reverse the process (again with the extra pair of hands to help you put the 2 halves back together, and you are done.

Thanks.. i think the smartest thing for me to do is just pony up the money and have someone experienced with this do the repair for me. I went back and forth.. but the possibility of saving 30-50 bucks just isnt work it for a newb to do this job.

Back