Flywheel bolt thread sealer??

XR7Kurt

I have a new flywheel and bought new mounting bolts from Ford that come with the sealer on them. The problem is due to mounting the flywheel/clutch once without the rear engine cover:confused:, aka seperator plate, and once with the wrong one:mad:, which thread lock or sealant should I use?
Thanks,
Kurt

I have a new flywheel and bought new mounting bolts from Ford that come with the sealer on them. The problem is due to mounting the flywheel/clutch once without the rear engine cover:confused:, aka seperator plate, and once with the wrong one:mad:, which thread lock or sealant should I use?
Thanks,
Kurt

at AAMCO we just used red "locktite"...

The factory thread lock isn't anything like the red stuff.
It doesn't look like any of the loctite products I've seen. It definately needs to have sealing capability as well as locking capability since there is a direct path to oil through the holes.

It doesn't look like any of the loctite products I've seen. It definately needs to have sealing capability as well as locking capability since there is a direct path to oil through the holes.

No, the bolt holes are blind and do not require any sealer. Ford did not put anything at all on the threads when new, and the new bolts I have here (5spd) do not have anything on them but that doesn't mean much. Anything they may have put on the threads could serve as a dry lubricant as well as a mild thread locker, but neither are necessary.

I was under the impression that new bolts for the 5spd flywheels where not available anymore... is this true?

Is there an alternative?

Fraser

Sorry I left out that this was a 5.0 going to a 5-speed XR7, I thought it was a generic enough application, I guess there's no such thing anymore. The holes on this are definately not blind since nice clean oil ran out when I pulled one of the bolts out.
I did some research last nite and couldn't find any discussion on the sealing properties of any of the choices only about which lock strength is needed. Blue, or nonpermanent, seems to be the choice rather than the more permanent red that is designed to be removed with heat applied.

Sorry I left out that this was a 5.0 going to a 5-speed XR7, I thought it was a generic enough application, I guess there's no such thing anymore.
I don't understand how you can ask a question like this without giving pertinent information. Of course not all applications are the same! :p The Ford application for the 5.0 is for a sealer, not a locker, although a locker can work as a sealer if you want it to.

Many people use various locking agents on flywheel bolts because they do not trust the bolts themselves or they are not torquing correctly, however Ford does not specify anything be applied to the flywheel bolts (3.8L) nor did they ever come with anything on them. Adding locker because it makes you "feel better" doesn't improve the fastener's performance. Do you put lock tite on connecting rod bolts? I didn't think so, yet those bolts are by far the most highly stressed bolts in the engine. Instead ARP recommends you use moly lube on their connecting rod bolts. How about lug nuts? I don't believe we normally use any locker on those. If a bolt is torqued properly so that specified stretch is generated, no locking fluid is generally needed (or desired).

I don't understand how you can ask a question like this without giving pertinent information.
I guess if I can do what I did in the first place I can do anything.:p
Adding locker because it makes you "feel better" doesn't improve the fastener's performance.
I agree, I'm kind of a stickler about doing things as designed. Which is why I'm taking the flywheel off for the second time. Sure the cover/plate for the auto will get me down the road, but they made them different for a reason.
Anyhow, thanks for the info, I'll just use some sealer.

Back