PDA

View Full Version : seat swap COMPLETE ! PICS !

thunderkid84
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
hey guys, heres the deal.

i found a guy in NC selling some nice grey cloth seats from his 97 thunderbird. i've talked to him and he said the brackets are still on them and would just need some cleaning up before they go in a car.

i have an 89 SC with the sometimes annoying auto seat belts.

is this swap possible ?

i've seen others put 94-95 interior in their early sc's but want to know if 97's will fit.

thanks guys

DrFishbone
10-09-2009, 07:31 AM
hey guys, heres the deal.

i found a guy in NC selling some nice grey cloth seats from his 97 thunderbird. i've talked to him and he said the brackets are still on them and would just need some cleaning up before they go in a car.

i have an 89 SC with the sometimes annoying auto seat belts.

is this swap possible ?

i've seen others put 94-95 interior in their early sc's but want to know if 97's will fit.

thanks guys

I'm sure it's possible. I'm working on finding the parts needed myself. You'll have to change the large interior panel in the backseat on each side, the sill panel, and I think the a-pilar piece as well for everything to look just right. Might have to make some mounting points for the new shoulder belt.

Another option - the Canadian cars (89-up) did not have autoseatbelts, so you could find all the early model interior colors with this setup already. Fraser Turner has a black Canadian interior that made me jealous at the shootout. :(

thunderkid84
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
What about just mounting the brackets from my power seats onto the new cloth ones ?

I really don't mind the auto seat belts and wouldn't mind keeping them after the new seats are in.

DrFishbone
10-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Are you wanting to convert the later model seats to power seats? I don't see a problem as long as there is space under the trim on the manual seats for the switches and trim to be installed. Of course, you'll have to say byebye to the lumbar and bolster functions.

Anything is possible. :cool:

If you want me to compare anything for you...I'm going to Pull-a-Part today and can check specifics if you want. If I can, I'll take a look at the bottom seat "frame" to rail mounting on a manual seat car as compared to a motorized one. I can't imagine them being different though. If memory serves, even the MarkVIII seats have identical mounting....maybe that's rail-to-floorpan though.

Tim Groth
10-09-2009, 03:13 PM
It will work fine. You can do 1 of 2 things here.

1: Change the belt on the seat - its just on a slide and you can swap them from new to old.

2: Swap in the 94 sail panels, belts etc. You will have to cut and weld in a mounting point in the A piller however for the manual seat belt swivel to attach. All other mounting points will match up for you.

-Tim

thunderkid84
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Tim, thats what i was wanting to do is just put the seat belt thing from the power seats on the new ones so i can still use the auto seat belts.

is that possible ? do u know the part im talking about ?

thunderkid84
10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
If you want me to compare anything for you...I'm going to Pull-a-Part today and can check specifics if you want. If I can, I'll take a look at the bottom seat "frame" to rail mounting on a manual seat car as compared to a motorized one. I can't imagine them being different though. If memory serves, even the MarkVIII seats have identical mounting....maybe that's rail-to-floorpan though.

Matt, if u can do that, that would be really cool of you

Tim Groth
10-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Tim, thats what i was wanting to do is just put the seat belt thing from the power seats on the new ones so i can still use the auto seat belts.

is that possible ? do u know the part im talking about ?

Yeah you can do it...I put the manual 94+ connection on my 93 SC seat when I did the 94+ interior in my car.

I beleive they just come off the seats with 2 10mm bolts.

-Tim

thunderkid84
10-09-2009, 06:15 PM
sweet. thanks Tim.

i'll update u guys when i get the seats and stuff in

DrFishbone
10-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Matt, if u can do that, that would be really cool of you

Looked to me like all MN12 seat bottoms will bolt right up to any given set of rails. 4 (10mm I think) bolts secure the seat bottom to the rail - one at each corner of the seat.

thunderkid84
10-12-2009, 05:14 PM
just picked up the seats. no rips or tears. power driver and manual passenger. a bit dirty tho, looks like they will bolt right in.

i was thinking of spray them off with a garden hose.

can some recommend something to break up/loosen the dirt ?

or maybe another way of cleaning them ?

thunderkid84
10-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Anyone have some cleaning suggestions ?

What have u guys used to clean some pretty dirty seats ?

thunderkid84
10-21-2009, 02:56 PM
well, i ended up just spraying them with my garden hose. a lot of crap came out of them.

the swap went well. the seat belt things swapped easily. they almost look like they came with the car.

anyone want some pics ?

DrFishbone
10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
anyone want some pics ?

Yez plz! :D

thunderkid84
10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
as promised here are some pics of the seats.

i'll try and get a pic of the front and back seats together.

you can see it almost looks like the car came like that.

REILLY
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM
the seats look good! nice swap

thunderkid84
10-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks man.

IMO these seats are much more comfortable than the leather.

And not nearly as many rips !

DrFishbone
10-23-2009, 06:47 PM
The cloth is more comfortable...especially when they get old and crusty. :p

Certainly looks comfortable! Nice job! :)