PDA

View Full Version : Brakes revisited

onequiksc
10-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Started getting a red brake light coming on and staying on, though sometimes it goes away for a bit, it's mostly always "on" now.

Brakes feel fine, and I checked the pump/ accumulator...getting 7 to 8 pedal apps before the pump comes on, and charges the acc. up, and goes off.

Brake fluid level seems ok, though I put some in just for grins.

I plan to get under it this weekend and check for leaks etc.

Since I had the master cylinder unit replaced, I do not have the brake light come on when I engage the parking brake lever. (before this started to happen of course-now I wouldn't know since the light is on all the time)

I did with my old system, as bad as it was towards the end. I see no reason the shop would have gone into my console and messed with that switch etc. so I don't know why I've no brake light when I set the parking brake.

Any and all ideas welcome.

TIA

the-big-e
10-09-2009, 10:56 PM
There is a little switch on the side of the brake lever.....

Maybe it's stuck in the off position.....

onequiksc
10-09-2009, 11:06 PM
T/Y Ed, will check it out.

Have a good weekend :)

onequiksc
10-10-2009, 12:11 PM
That checked out seemingly ok...Also, I THOUGHT I found the issue when I did an oil change today, but I was wrong there too.

That 2 pin connector on the (modulator-to rear brakes?) block along the driver's side firewall framerail, where it goes to 1 larger line to the back end...that was hanging down off the female connection.

Dilectric greased it, put it back on...still have the light.

I double checked the pump/ accumulator deal, and I'm getting 8 pumps before it re-pressurizes...it shuts off immediately.

No leaks anywhere from the underside of the master cylinder/pump assembly.

At this point, I'm going to cover the dash light bezel opening with electrical tape!

I know when things are going terribly wrong with the system, so I'm on guard every time I brake. I really wish I had the option of going to conventional brakes, but after reading that long thread and all the issues and parts involved, plus the mixed results, there's really no point. If I have to, I'll buy a sound , complete ABS unit off someone or rebuild my old one so i have a spare.

Meh, I get pissed from the constant woes this car gives, but deep down I know it's a (almost) 21 year old car with close to 300k miles on it. I can't really blame the car or Ford at this point.

the-big-e
10-10-2009, 04:03 PM
How's the connection on the fluid level sensor....

Is the ground wire on the front of the unit alright.....

Tape sounds a little extreme.....:eek:

Pull the bulb.....:D

onequiksc
10-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Ed, for my own edification, that's the 2 pin plug on the front of the reservior right? I've played around with it, the side plastic snap clip is broken off it, but it seems as though it's on solid enough. I will double check the ground tomorrow.

I'd love to find the cause, but the brakes feel pretty god, and knowing the pump and Acc. are doing what they should be, lessens the worry.

I'll play around with the connectors and hope I get lucky...thanks for the ;)help.

the-big-e
10-11-2009, 12:50 AM
That should be it.....:D

Look at the wires and make sure they are not broken....