Finally, my supercharger porting pics

thunderkid84

pulled it off to check it out, clean it up and probably scrape the rest of the coating off the rotors. decided to take some pics like i was supposed to before it went in the car.

the rotors tips are still in great shape and theres no play in the snout. the rear rotor bearing were replaced about 1 year ago. so she's holding up great after all those 17 psi runs at the track.

here they are....let me know what u think

Attachments

• DSCN2950.JPG
    DSCN2950.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 716
  • DSCN2952.JPG
    DSCN2952.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 626
  • DSCN2953.JPG
    DSCN2953.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 664
  • DSCN2956.JPG
    DSCN2956.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 718
  • DSCN2957.JPG
    DSCN2957.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 747
Did it by hand I see. Not bad. You can go closer to the front of the case, actually cutting into the bolt bosses. Not sure how much gain there is to be had at that level though.

SWS

I think you did a good job. Are you using the stock inlet plenum or the MP ?

David

Stock plenum which was port matched on tb and sc side as much as It could be.

I didn't port by hand. I used an air die grinder with a carbide bit. And then some cartridge rolls and cross buffs to smooth it out. I didn't want to go too big on the outlet cuz I read it can actually hurt air flow.

I wanted to port more on the sides of the inlet but my friend is deployed and I was using his tools.

Stock plenum which was port matched on tb and sc side as much as It could be.

I didn't port by hand. I used an air die grinder with a carbide bit. And then some cartridge rolls and cross buffs to smooth it out. I didn't want to go too big on the outlet cuz I read it can actually hurt air flow.

I wanted to port more on the sides of the inlet but my friend is deployed and I was using his tools.

From everything I've seen and experinced most of the gains from porting the blower come from work to the inlet side, and it looks like that's were you concentrated.

You can port that stock inlet plenum till there is almost nothing left of it, and it still won't flow as good as the 75mm TB. MP inlet plenum should be high on your future mod list...it really works.

David

From everything I've seen and experinced most of the gains from porting the blower come from work to the inlet side, and it looks like that's were you concentrated.

David

I did concentrate on the inlet the most. But somewhere I read that getting air under the rotors was best. And u can see I took alot out of the bottom of the inlet.

I did concentrate on the inlet the most. But somewhere I read that getting air under the rotors was best. And u can see I took alot out of the bottom of the inlet.

Not under the blower, but on the upper side of the inlet where the leading edge of the rotors can capture the air.

Look at it this way. The older style blowers had the bottom opened up to the rotors, but in the later generations and the MPX it is closed up.

Fraser

Not under the blower, but on the upper side of the inlet where the leading edge of the rotors can capture the air.

Look at it this way. The older style blowers had the bottom opened up to the rotors, but in the later generations and the MPX it is closed up.

Fraser

i know. i meant to say the way i did it was wrong.

so i would need to port more in the circles, correct ?

Attachments

• DSCN2957.JPG
    DSCN2957.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
You can port that stock inlet plenum till there is almost nothing left of it, and it still won't flow as good as the 75mm TB. MP inlet plenum should be high on your future mod list...it really works.

David

Dave, at this point with the porting and the intake stuff i have, would the MP inlet be a huge "seat of the pants" difference ?

i mean, i know its waaay bigger than the stocker but is it THAT much better ?

Dave, at this point with the porting and the intake stuff i have, would the MP inlet be a huge "seat of the pants" difference ?

You'll notice a difference with the MP Plenum when it comes to the top end of the motor. I actually lost a little bit of the low end torque also.

-Tim

i know. i meant to say the way i did it was wrong.

so i would need to port more in the circles, correct ?

attachment.php

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=843069&postcount=15

as what im getting out of this thread(im a SC noob) a ported stock plenum will still not stand to a MP plenum?

This picture helps to show the differences...the MPII Plenum (very similar to the MPX) however it is Rectangular where it mates with the blower...but notice the large inlet size overall...

m90plenum.JPG

-Tim

Last edited:

I don't have any comparison numbers for my car, because when I first used the MP inlet plenum it was in combination with an MPII case. On my car switching from a heavily ported ESM early model blower and plenum, to the MPII case and plenum resulted in a 70 rwhp gain. I already had a big cam and oversized valve ported heads, so my results were probably better than the average guy would see.

However, at about the same time Chris Wise did nothing but switch from a ported late model inlet to an MP inlet plenum and gained about 35 rwhp. So yes I think it's that much better. It's mainly going to help in the upper rpms.

David

However, at about the same time Chris Wise did nothing but switch from a ported late model inlet to an MP inlet plenum and gained about 35 rwhp. So yes I think it's that much better. It's mainly going to help in the upper rpms.

David

wow. That's sweet. I assume u would need an 87mm maf and 85mm tb to see max results.

Tim what setup did u have when u installed your mp inlet ?

I put it on the Teal 94 SC I have - Stock Short block and drive train...its all bolts ons.

MPII Blower w/ Plenum (probably a little more flow than your home port)
75mm ProProduct TB
Double IC w/ Fan
Raised Top
5% Jack %10 SC
MP 3.5 Cold Air Intake
exhaust has high flow cats and aftermarket res.

It lags on the low side and screams like a swarm of pissed of hornets up top.

Talked to Dalke about it when I dropped of Duffy's transmissions a few weeks back, he said with a stock long block, stock injectors and stock stall I'm just forcing to much air in and retarding timing.

I'm going to swap it to the 94 Blower and see if it helps any. Car feels slower than stock and has almost every mid range bolt on available.

-Tim

i see now, i learn something new everyday! im trying to learn a lot getting prepared on spending money, lost me job and waiting to get any calls. stupid amusements parks. i have one question. does a late model blower stand up to a MP at all? i know for sure not the MPX.

Going in order from good to best :

early model
late model
s-port
MP1
MP2
MP3
MPX
autorotor

Just a quick list, nothing too specific.

Back