AOD help

kneedragger25

So I read this thread http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84672&highlight=cable+adjustment So from what I read is If I make this tool I warm up my car remove the TV cable from grommet insert this tool between the crimped end and the rod then reinstall and thats it? ATM I dont have forced downshifts in OD or D.some advice would help me. I know A pressure gauge should be used but I dont have one nor any money for one. I also read this method works better than the min mid a max mark and wont toast the tranny.

No just pull the cable out a little, set the gauge tool to hold the cable out the specified distance, restart the already warmed car with the pressure gauge on the tv port and set pressure no less than 31 psi and no more than 34. It is critical that idle be at normal. If idle increases pressure has to as well. You must do the check in neutral as well.
Alan

What if I dont have a gauge? can it still be done? If not where can I get the gauge and fittings?

You do it the same as they did it on the assembly line - lightly tension the cable and clamp it off....done.

The stock mechanism that secures the cable end up at the throttle body is unlocked until final assembly. The worker on the line only had to pull out on the cable (towards the front of the car) until it stopped and then they would snap the plastic retainer into locked position. Gauges are good for testing/mods, but not needed to do this simple task.

People get into trouble when they insist on driving around when the cable retainer has broken and it no longer operates properly, and/or make their own retainer and either leave it with slack/slop at the engine or pull it too tight and then clamp it off.

Last edited:
is this correct? clamp what off? I unlock the slider pull the cable to the correct length then just pop ot back in and thats it?

is this correct? clamp what off? I unlock the slider pull the cable to the correct length then just pop ot back in and thats it?

If you still have the original mechanism, and it sounds like you do, that's all there is to it...don't pull the cable to any degree tho. Just make sure it isn't slack or sticking/hanging up or that the cable itself isn't in need of replacement from damage, heat etc. Again, that's how it was designed so it would be that easy to do and set correctly at the factory when everything was installed in the car. Very simple.

See this video if you need a visual:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

Last edited:
Back