1990 sc 60000 miles

justin

Hi to all in the sc community! I am obviously a newbie!:) I am highly educated with Buick Grand Nationals as I have had six. My latest gn recently got stolen:mad:. So to make a long story short i've been in search of something cool that can challenge me? I searched and searched for something and ran across a 1990 60,000 original sc on Craigslist. Well I bought it. Heres what I got myself into..... The guy I got it from said he bought it a couple years ago and drove it to car shows and such. He brought it into the garage and parked it for the winter..... During the spring he decided it was time to bring her out, when he did he couldnt get it to start, it cranked but wouldnt start. After a few months and four ''mechanics'' later he found out the=at the balancer was broken? Is this commen? What causes it to happen on these cars? Anyway, he is in no way mechanicaly able to work on it so he had a ''backyard'' mechanic come out and work on it. The guy took it apart then took the money and ran....fast! I have the car now and the front is in pieces. Can anyone let me know if they think that this was or is the real problem? And can anyone post some pics on how all the stuff in my trunk goes back on???? I appreciate all the help fellas. ;):rolleyes:

To answer your first question, yes its fairly common for the balancer to fail on these cars. And second, yes a broken balancer would stop the car from starting.

You'll have to do a search for a "how to" cuz i've never done it.

Last edited:
I used to own a 92 sc and once when I was driving the car just died, So I drifted into a gas station and tried to figure out what happened. with no luck I had a friend push me back to my shop where I worked. During the process I came down to a crank sensor replaced the sensor and it fired than died with no restart. well come to find out the CS bolt broke off and the balancer started to walk forward out of range from the sensor. if you have the bolt that holds the pulley on than that's not your issue. but if the guy broke the bolt and kept driving maybe over time the belt pulled it out of range for the sensor to read.

Hey thanks alot guys. Every bit of wisdom is gonna be helpful. Ill be checking everything that is told to me as soon as possible.

it also spins on the hub, balancer snout breaks off...etc.......

Check the balancer for wobbles while someone is cranking it, if the balancer is stil on vehicle

Buy the BHJ balancer from Spinningwheels.com. This will cure the problem forever. This is a very common problem that is easily fixed forever with a little time and about 400.00. Buy the crank bolt as well, as these have tendency to shear. Then go out a dn enjoy you low mileage SC. Contact Victor at Spinning wheels. Very nice guy that knows these cars....

Edit- I would buy a new crank sensor as well. They can take a hit when the balancer fails. A little insurance...

Back