Rim/hub question

k_schutte

So... I want to run the Cobra R style rims (9" 24mm offset up front and 10.5" 27mm offset out back) If I swap hubs will they work or is there going to be a bunch of clearance issues?

I have a pair of brand new 255/50/ZR17's BFG's I was going to toss on the back and get a pair of 205/50/ZR17's for the front. I am going for the "fat/skinny" look without going too crazy fat out back and/or too crazy skinny up front. Like my RX7/SBF has 10.5"s out back and like 4"s up front but it is a drag car so... that way If i decide I want to take it on the street I can literaly just bolt teh Cobra R style rims from the SC ight onto my RX7 and go drivin...

Last edited:
Off topic, I know.... but RX7/SBF??? Got any pictures? :D I'm thinking Turbo 2.3L Ford in a gen2 RX7 for my next big project. A simple, light, DD.

Off topic, I know.... but RX7/SBF??? Got any pictures? :D I'm thinking Turbo 2.3L Ford in a gen2 RX7 for my next big project. A simple, light, DD.

no pictures of it at the moment really. Going to get some tomorow after spending all day out there installing my new radiator and getting measurements for my new driveshaft, doing a battery relocation and some other small things. It's a 90 GTU with a 5.0HO converted to carb with some mods and a LOT of nitrous ;). Best run to date is 11.042 @ 126.37 with a 1.97 69ft :eek: that was on the T-5 which SHATTERED during the launch of my next run. Got a built C4 now, dropped about 200 lbs and got the 10.5" slicks to so I am 1005 positive I will be in the 10's probably mid 10's if I had to bet on it...
I have since also threw an MSD 6A on it, HEI dist., Jacobs Nitrous Mastermind and put in a 4.10 LSD (from a TII) to replace the 3.90 open rear that was in it.

But just for fun, here is a picture of my '87 Fiero with a 3.4L DOHC swap (LQ1 motor)

and the first car I ever built, a '95 neon (I was 17). Just after being painted (by me) didn't even get around to putting the headlights back in yet. I had a '90 Talon TSI AWD at teh same time that I was modding like crazy so all of teh stock stuff I took off the Talon I put on the neon, best in that car was like a 12.2~

I could keep going but I won't... LOL I have been REALLY heavy into car audio competitions lately so my prjects have been slacking but I actualy just sold about 20Kw worth of amps and a few subs so I have money to play with again. Also selling my Astro and may be the Cutlass as well so...

EDIT: you can see the engine bay in this picture I took for my car audio classifieds site. Got it jacked up right now to get driveshaft measurements, the full body kit makes it HARD to get a jack under there! I'd say it has about 4" of groudn clearance right now. Crappy thign is that the Long Tube headers are pretty dang low as well!
keithspics91109002.jpg

Last edited:
A 205 tire is WAY too narrow for a 9-inch wide wheel (even a stock SC has 225s on a 7-inch wheel) and a 255 tire is too narrow for a 10.5-inch wheel (I've put 295s on a 9-inch wheel).

If you're determined to go fat/skinny I'd do 225s on a 7-inch wheel up front and 255 or 275 on a 9-inch wheel out back.

I think this combination would handle very poorly with tons of understeer, but that's just me.

wouldn't really be fat/skinny if I went with those tires though...

let's do it this way... what is the biggest tire you could fit out back on a 10.5" rim with 27mm offset?

Not sure on the offset but a 295 will easily fit on a 10.5 inch rim. Some 315s that measure narrow (like Nittos) will as well. Lots of Mustang guys do that.

I apologize for not making myself more clear...

I am wondering what size tire will fit on the back of a SuperCoupe, not what size tire will fit the rim... as in clearing the fender well and clearing the suspension etc...

for example, on the Rx7 I can run 10.5" slicks BUT I had to go with coil overs because the tires would rub the stock strut/spring assembly. I also had to "roll" the fender lip to keep the tires from hitting at launch... Hopefuly this clears up what I am asking...

The wheels you have spec'd out are not going to fit right unless you want the tire hangin out the wheel well look too. However no worries of rubbing on the inside with those.

A drag car?? Like only drag??

Obviously??? Nothing in your previous posts makes it obvious...Unless I missed something.

So then why not just use drag wheels??

Obviously??? Nothing in your previous posts makes it obvious...Unless I missed something.

So then why not just use drag wheels??

I thought you where talknig about the RX7 honestly since that is the only thing I mentioned as being a drag car...

The supercoupe is a street car...

The XXR will fit good.

Tire sizes for your RX7 are going to be much differant than what you should run on your SC. The SC uses a 26.6" tall tire and your RX-7 uses a 24.9" tire. Much taller than whats going to want to fit on your RX7.

For the SC in 17's I would use a 255-45-17/285-40-17 set or a 245-45-17/275-40-17 set.

Brad

Last edited:
Got this taken care of... thanks for all the replies

for teh record... the RX7 is running 27/10.5/15 on the rear with enough space I could get away with even a 29" tall or so...

Back