PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do powdercoating?

NEEDaSCbad
10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Does anyone here do powdercoating or have a friend that does it? I'd like to support someone in the SC community first before I go to a different shop. If so just give me your info or if someone has suggestions let me know what you suggest.

Ken Seegers
10-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Does anyone here do powdercoating or have a friend that does it? I'd like to support someone in the SC community first before I go to a different shop. If so just give me your info or if someone has suggestions let me know what you suggest.

I have a buddy of mine who does powdercoating. What are you looking to have powdercoated?

Thanks
Ken

NEEDaSCbad
10-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Right now just the accessory brackets, in the future basically every other metal component in the engine bay besides the manifolds, heads, radiator, and intercooler, and also probably the wheels. Can you find out about what he'd charge for just the brackets in a flat black? They will need to be media blasted first, I can do it if he doesn't have the equipment but I'd just as soon let someone else do it.

Kurt K
10-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Right now just the accessory brackets, in the future basically every other metal component in the engine bay besides the manifolds, heads, radiator, and intercooler, and also probably the wheels. Can you find out about what he'd charge for just the brackets in a flat black? They will need to be media blasted first, I can do it if he doesn't have the equipment but I'd just as soon let someone else do it.

You will have a hard time getting the passenger side accessory bracket powder coated unless you want to go through the trouble of getting the jackshaft bearing pressed out and then back in....I think most people end up painting that side.

I understand wanting to support the community, but personally I'd try local first before I spent a bunch of money on shipping. There are several places in town that can do it. I have not had anything personally done, but have seen reviews of some of the local shops on other (local) forums. I don't have time to get the names now and will try to post something later. If you don't see anything from me in a few days, send me an email and remind me.

Nettlesd
10-15-2009, 09:45 AM
You will have a hard time getting the passenger side accessory bracket powder coated unless you want to go through the trouble of getting the jackshaft bearing pressed out and then back in....I think most people end up painting that side.

Not everyone. :D

Duffy Floyd
10-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Make sure you leave a electrical ground path for the alternator to accessory bracket and then to the block when you powdercoat or you are asking for weird charging problems.

Dirtyd0g
10-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I have a good buddy in Florida who does powder coating. Top notch work and a great guy.
http://www.braincoating.com

He also drives an mn-12.
Alan

bowez
10-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Make sure you leave a electrical ground path for the alternator to accessory bracket and then to the block when you powdercoat or you are asking for weird charging problems.

Can just use a serrated washer behind one of the nuts or sand off some on the back side.

Mike8675309
10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Can just use a serrated washer behind one of the nuts or sand off some on the back side.

You need metal on metal contact. Figure out where you want it and the powder coat guys can leave you a spot to save you from trying to grind stuff off.

bowez
10-15-2009, 07:26 PM
You need metal on metal contact. Figure out where you want it and the powder coat guys can leave you a spot to save you from trying to grind stuff off.

I understand what your saying but I have to remove the stuff everyday at work (got to love a company that won't change anything) and it's not hard at all.