wideband o2 sensor location

nickleman60

I'm getting ready to buy a Innovate wideband o2 kit and I don't know how much wire they give you to run to the gauge which will be in a pod on the A pillar. So I'm asking which exhaust manifold did you install yours in, I have Kooks longtubes and will weld the bung for the sensor behind the o2 sensor and near the collector. I know I would have enough wire if I install it in the drivers side header but not sure about the passenger side distance from the A pillar pod location.

I know I would have enough wire if I install it in the drivers side header but not sure about the passenger side distance from the A pillar pod location.

Do you have a quarterhorse or other way to datalog the engine computers fuel trims already? If so, check the logs and see which bank is running leaner than the other one. Put the wideband in that manifold.

I've found on my 93, it's the #2 bank, which is the drivers side. Unfortunately I put the o2 sensor in the passenger side downpipe. Fortunately I did have another bung put in the drivers side and I capped it so I'll move it this winter. I've had a variance of up to 8% side to side and as little as dead on.. but bank 2 is always leaner than the other side.

You can check with innovate, call their support line prior to your purchase and ask them. I know for my LM1, the standard length wire that runs from the o2 sensor to the LM1 device is long enough I could mount stuff on either side of the car. If you're doing the LC-1 i'm not sure, but I believe you can extend the wires coming out of the LC-1 electronics pretty easily if they are too short. The LM1 wire is long because it has a molded plug on both ends, making shortening it or lengthening it more questionable.

I've decided I'm going to install the AFR gauge on the steering coloumn in a single gauge pod that's for a mustang but they fit t-bird columns as well. That means I should have a long enough sensor lead to install in either header by the collector so which side is the perferred side for the wideband sensor?

I'm not sure which bank tends to run leaner reliably on our cars. I believe it usually is just the #6 or #3 cylinders. So that's either bank. I guess I'd recommend picking up two bungs with plugs. Poke holes in both headers and plug the one you don't use. then you can try both sides on your car and figure out which one runs the leanest. Pick that one to tune from.

I guess I'd recommend picking up two bungs with plugs. Poke holes in both headers and plug the one you don't use. then you can try both sides on your car and figure out which one runs the leanest. Pick that one to tune from.

That's a good idea Mike, thanks.

I'm right behind you, Keith, on buying a wideband O2.

I have the Moates F3 and Jaybird with BE. Does that datalog or just hold a tune?

Back