PDA

View Full Version : Steering column gauge pod

nickleman60
10-16-2009, 10:10 AM
I've been told that the ones for a Mustang will work on a T-bird. If so that would allow me to install my wideband AFR gauge on the column directly in front of my eyeballs and install a vacuum/boost gauge in the A pillar pod. I would then remove the stock boost gauge and plug in a volt gauge out of a LX, sounds like a plan. Here's one I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310084890270&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

frdlvr30
10-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I've been told that the ones for a Mustang will work on a T-bird. If so that would allow me to install my wideband AFR gauge on the column directly in front of my eyeballs and install a vacuum/boost gauge in the A pillar pod. I would then remove the stock boost gauge and plug in a volt gauge out of a LX, sounds like a plan. Here's one I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310084890270&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Yes, that would work since our cars have console mounted shifters. Have you considered scrapping the idiot lights below the radio and installing three analog gauges there. I know you were saying you really didnt like the Pillar gauges....I know this would be a little more work though.

ricardoa1
10-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Night picture. Yes it fits.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/gauge005.jpg?t=1255712451

Roadhawg
10-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Hmmmm, I have more room now that I pulled the radio out.
That darn radio kept flying out and landing on my forearm during my launch on the Drag strip.

frdlvr30
10-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Hmmmm, I have more room now that I pulled the radio out.
That darn radio kept flying out and landing on my forearm during my launch on the Drag strip.

Put the screws back in the bezel and it wont do that....

Roadhawg
10-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Put the screws back in the bezel and it wont do that....

It is an aftermarket radio/mp3 player and the crappy tabs on the slides cannot withstand rapid acceleration.

nickleman60
10-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Have you considered scrapping the idiot lights below the radio and installing three analog gauges there. I know you were saying you really didnt like the Pillar gauges....I know this would be a little more work though.

Z had a triple gauge pillar pod he let me have so I'm going that route plus I want to be able to turn off my traction control at the touch of a button, that panel also has the ride control light in it so I want to keep it.

Pablo94SC
03-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Z had a triple gauge pillar pod he let me have so I'm going that route plus I want to be able to turn off my traction control at the touch of a button, that panel also has the ride control light in it so I want to keep it.

You still have traction control? Get an ABS computer from a '93 (any transmission) or out of a 94/95 5spd and you'll permanently disable traction assist. Just be sure to remove the light for the button, otherwise it'll constantly be glaring OFF at you.

nickleman60
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
You still have traction control? Get an ABS computer from a '93 (any transmission) or out of a 94/95 5spd and you'll permanently disable traction assist. Just be sure to remove the light for the button, otherwise it'll constantly be glaring OFF at you.

I have an ABS computer from a '93 I can put in or I might just run a jumper wire from 2 of the wires on the traction assist vmm plug, Pink/Orange to Gray, should turn it off.

Pablo94SC
03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I have an ABS computer from a '93 I can put in or I might just run a jumper wire from 2 of the wires on the traction assist vmm plug, Pink/Orange to Gray, should turn it off.

You're much better off with the 93 ABS computer. The traction assist button is a momentary switch, so every time you restart the car I have a feeling it'll automatically reset itself to on.

frdlvr30
03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Not if jumped like described above. We already researched this a while back...

Pablo94SC
03-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Not if jumped like described above. We already researched this a while back...

My bad. I read what he said wrong. Hmm.... if I knew that was the case I could have saved myself a few bucks and having to fight with the fender liner. Oh well.

So, does the harness need to be plugged into the VMM for this to work or just jumpered?

nickleman60
03-05-2010, 07:01 AM
My bad. I read what he said wrong. Hmm.... if I knew that was the case I could have saved myself a few bucks and having to fight with the fender liner. Oh well.

So, does the harness need to be plugged into the VMM for this to work or just jumpered?

No it doesn't. I'm like you, I really don't want to fight the fenderliner and reach way up in there to get to the abs computer, it's much easier to use the jumper wire.