PDA

View Full Version : Possible Group Purchases

Mike8675309
10-16-2009, 11:09 AM
I took some time and made a list of some parts I need to replace for next season. I thought I'd check and see if there any others interested in the same parts. If so, I'll get in touch with some of the companies and see what it might take to do a group by and pick up a discount.
The list is:

Rear Trac Loc. I'm looking to pickup an Auburn Pro unit this winter. Lists about http://www.jegs.com/i/Auburn%20Gear/109/542080/10002/-1?CT=999
Driveshaft. I'm going to be picking up a replacement aluminum driveshaft for my 5 speed car. http://www.pstds.com/custom_driveshafts.htm
New hood. I'm going to be picking up a new Cobra R style hood http://www.fiberpartsconcepts.com/1298488.html
Axles. I'm seriously considering the Drive Shaft Specialties Level 5 cobra axle hub upgrade. DSS said they could make the custom hub a 5 x 4.25 bolt pattern. http://www.driveshaftshop.com/pdetail.php?pid=152 I know they are terribly expensive.
Drag Tires - I need some drag tires. MT ET Street or Hoosier QTP

These are all parts I have to or am very likely to buy this winter. If anyone else is interested, post up. If there are 3 or more folks interest in any one item, it would be worth it to contact the manufacturer to see if they have any type of discount they can give. I would expect that the best discount that could be gotten would be prior to the end of the year, so that's what I'll be shooting for for the more spendy items, to try and motivate the best discount.

fturner
10-16-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd be interested in the aluminum 5spd drive shaft.

Fraser

90blkbrd
10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I'd like to do the driveshaft and hood. Depends on how my budget goes this winter and when the group buy might happen.

Mike8675309
10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Well depending on interest, and the driveshaft is winning right now, the goal would be to hit one of them before the end of the year. That would likely mean money in hand by the end of the second week of December. That'll give us leverage to get the best deal.

If that can't happen then we'd shoot for mid february time frame so folks have time to get their tax rebates (if you're getting one).

decipha
10-16-2009, 06:44 PM
im actually in the market right now for a driveshaft for my 92 408 turbo 5spd

my engine is pushed back so i'll need it 1" shorter than stock but that shouldn't be a problem i'd assume

im serious with cash in hand at the moment, so the sooner this goes the better

Dirtyd0g
10-17-2009, 01:31 AM
I tried to assemble a driveshaft GP on tccoa and the response was terrible. I got a pm about it from another member, if there is enough interest I can make it happen.
Alan

fturner
10-17-2009, 09:01 AM
I tried to assemble a driveshaft GP on tccoa and the response was terrible. I got a pm about it from another member, if there is enough interest I can make it happen.
Alan

What kind of prices would we be looking at, both for an auto one and a 5spd one?

Fraser

Mike8675309
10-17-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm working with Alan on it. Once we get some more information we'll start a thread in the Group buy forum here. From what Alan said, the biggest break came at 10 driveshafts.

90blkbrd
10-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm working with Alan on it. Once we get some more information we'll start a thread in the Group buy forum here. From what Alan said, the biggest break came at 10 driveshafts.

Looks like ordering directly is $425 plus shipping. So that will be our starting point.

Mike8675309
10-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Looks like ordering directly is $425 plus shipping. So that will be our starting point.

perhaps... alan is working with Dynotech I believe, which may be where this group buy goes through.

Dirtyd0g
10-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I got a quote a few months ago and the best I could get them to was $354 each, which takes into account 5% credit card processing fees. I looked into it because several people asked me, but like I said the response was terrible.
It probably didn't help that the thread was slow to update and nobody could post in it either.
Alan

90blkbrd
10-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Advantages going Dynotech over PST? What are the pro's and con's for each?

CMac89
10-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I have run the Dynotech composite in all of my race cars, so I know they're good. I'm sure PST is just as credible.

Mike8675309
10-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't know that there is a big difference. I know that people here have had great service and support from PST. I also have heard of good things from Dynotech.

I'm sure if you ask both they have their own competitive advantages that they can name. This is early stages. should have some solid info no later than tuesday. Folks interested though should plan on saving their pennies.

My goal for this is a good quality piece.

decipha
10-17-2009, 07:25 PM
im still in with cash in hand just waiting when this goes forward someone give me a call

five zero four six zero six zero five three two

im also affiliated with a local machine shop that has contracts with many different high performance companies... i'll see what they can do as well.

95_XR7
10-17-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm not interested in a driveshaft GP but I'd like to comment on Dynotech. I bought an alum. driveshaft a year or two back. Due to some problems with the shipping company, it arrived slightly damaged. After talking to Dynotech about it, they were quick to get another one out to me.

Also, the DS performed great. Got rid of the vibration I was having. I also put one in the 94 SC awhile back due to the stock 2piece being a crap design.

Toms-SC
10-20-2009, 12:29 PM
I'd be interested in a hood group buy.

Mike8675309
10-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Driveshaft group buy will be coming up in the next day or so. As soon as we get 10 people, the order will get placed.

I'll contact the hood place and see what they can do. 3 is a good start and should get us some sort of deal, since regardless they usually have to run a hood one at a time. Not a big savings in multiple buys other than on perhaps boxing and finish work. Any savings is good savings. the hood one may not hit until after the first of the year unless they can give a killer deal if we buy before year end.

Toms-SC
10-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Mike, any interest in doing a custom design for the hood? I'd like to try something a little different. Cheers

Mike8675309
10-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Mike, any interest in doing a custom design for the hood? I'd like to try something a little different. Cheers

I'm not sure who could do anything custom. I suppose if there only a couple of us we might be able to get something custom done for a reasonable price vs if each of us tried to do it on our own. What do you have in mind?

Sxar
10-22-2009, 02:34 PM
I wish someone would do the Mach 1 for '96 - '97. That way the guys (like myself) could use it on our '94 - '95. It would save the hassle of modifying the current Mach 1 to work on those years.

fturner
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
BTW before I'd make a commitment to any GP on the driveshaft, I'd need to know if they will ship to Canada. It seems that fewer and fewer vendors want to do that anymore. Its frustrating as heck as it seems I'm getting my orders cancelled more and more often :(.

Fraser

Dirtyd0g
10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Worst case scenario if they will not ship to canada I will have them ship here and I will ship it from here using USPS. I will not ship anything to canada using ups. They forgot to charge someone a tariff and charged my credit card like 6 months later. For some reason nobody gets those fees from usps.
Alan

fturner
10-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Worst case scenario if they will not ship to canada I will have them ship here and I will ship it from here using USPS. I will not ship anything to canada using ups. They forgot to charge someone a tariff and charged my credit card like 6 months later. For some reason nobody gets those fees from usps.
Alan

Always a good thing to do with USPS. UPS, Fedex and Purolator are money grabbers with the border fee's. I've brought in a $20 used car part and had to pay a $96 brokerage fee to UPS, and as it turns out, UPS owns that brokerage company :cool:.

I won't ship with any of them anymore except the postal service.

thanks Alan.
Fraser

neverfastenough
10-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Another here interested In a hood.

Corey

Mikessupercoupe
10-22-2009, 06:29 PM
I'd be interested in a hood

Mike:cool:

SCrazy
10-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm thinking of a hood as well especially if it happened after the first of the year.

Mike8675309
10-24-2009, 01:31 PM
I started a thread for the driveshafts group by over here:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110390 As soon as we get ten takers, we'll collect all the money, give a week for anyone else to sneak in, and the close the buy.

I'm going to try and talk to the fiberglass place next week to line something up on hoods. I tried once but they were busy and I was busy all week.