Maf resistor

scxr7

My cougar is finally up and running but its running extremely rich. The smoke coming from the tailpipes makes it seem like I have a diesel under the hood.

My local tuner has been awesome at tweaking my diablo chip for me every time I show up to his shop with it in hand asking for a re-flash.

I've been trying to get it running so I can get all the bugs on my end fixed before I take it to the dyno since its pretty expensive to waste dyno time chasing down problems.

I went to radioshack and bought a couple of potentiometers to hook into the MAF sensor wire to control a/f and one for the IAT for timing. but I'm not sure which wire to hook the potentiometer in to. My car is a 1996 mercury cougar v6. :confused::confused::confused: anyone done this before?

Throwing parts at it to alter the MAF signal is the wrong way to solve a problem. If the MAF signal isn't correctly corresponding to the air that is coming in, then the transfer function of the computer needs to be fixed. Otherwise you may have a fuel issue such as too large of injectors to run stoich at idle, too much fuel pressure, or something of the sort.

Throwing parts at it to alter the MAF signal is the wrong way to solve a problem. If the MAF signal isn't correctly corresponding to the air that is coming in, then the transfer function of the computer needs to be fixed. Otherwise you may have a fuel issue such as too large of injectors to run stoich at idle, too much fuel pressure, or something of the sort.

i agree completely, there is a problem you need to solve. trying to change the maf signals or dictate what the pc is going to read is not a good thing and could most likely result in damaging more then the initial problem.

What you're doing is what they used to do when chips where too costly or not available.... I would suggest taking the extra time and getting the tune set up properly for the car.

The hacks you are doing has alot of consequences. Sure, the afr might be ok at WOT, but at crank time the MAF isn't read for fueling so larger injectors causes a flooding condition. Spark advance and fueling at part throttle is based off of load calculations, and guess what.. the major contributor to load calculations is the MAF, and you have just thrown that all out the window. Adaptive learning can only handle so much before they are maxed out, AND there is no adaptive for spark.

If you have enough money to mod the car, you have enough money to get it tuned properly.

Fraser

Back