Eliminating Firm Ride?

Ironsam63

I eliminated The firm ride option With new shocks in back and new springs and coil overs from a V8 up front. I want to lose the firm ride light altogether.Can someone tell me were all the relays, fuses, and computers, and/or self tests located? I also want to take out all wiring for this, but thats another day. Did a search, but can't get direct answers. Thanks, Sam

Last edited:
I know I can just pull the bulb, But I not only want to stop the light from being on, I don't want it to function at all. Like at WOT or if I get on the brakes to hard. Thats why I want to know were the computer or relays/fuses are. I don't want any other function of this car being affected by the information of an eliminated/non-working firm-ride suspention. Thanks....

I believe the ride control computer is either under the rear deck in the tray or on the left side of the trunk behind the carpet. Should say ride control something on the module.

Pulling the module out should stop it from functioning.

Last edited:
I believe the ride control computer is either under the rear deck in the tray or on the left side of the trunk behind the carpet. Should say ride control something on the module.

Pulling the module out should stop it from functioning.

You will lose the variable assist power steering feature, though, if you unplug it.

As above said, BUT you can wire in a Variable assist module from a normal LX/LS/?? Cougar or Thunderbird..

Also you won't be able to remove the harness itself since i do not remember myself if it's all by itself, since i remember it was also wraped in with the ABS, stereo and something else...

it just takes away the power assist of the steering some when you are driving at freeway/highway speeds.. so your steering won't be as `light' as those speeds..

Thanks guys. The steering assist would only be at highway speeds? So no difference at normal speeds?

Variable assist is controlled by a variable orifice valve in the power steering pressure line. If you disconnect the control box, the orifice valve should default to full open. that means full power assist. I would think that wouldn't feel very good at 60mph going around a sweeping corner.

If you want, you can connect the actuators back onto the wiring harness and then tie them up out of the way. or splice them all into the control harness in the trunk and stick them there. the issue is that the actuators are smart, and the controller talks to them ordering specific things to happen during a self test. The actuator knows if it succeeded or not, and is supposed to tell the controller. When the controller doesn't hear anything, it sets the light to flashing.

Variable assist is controlled by a variable orifice valve in the power steering pressure line. If you disconnect the control box, the orifice valve should default to full open. that means full power assist. I would think that wouldn't feel very good at 60mph going around a sweeping corner.

Does that mean it would be way to easy and touchy (sensitive)?

Does that mean it would be way to easy and touchy (sensitive)?

it'll be easy. I don't know if it would be touchy. It'll be overboosted for sure.
If you want to test you can disconnect the connector at the orifice valve on the power steering pump and drive it to see what it's like.

Back