engine painting q's

Thomas95SC

While I have my motor apart, I've been cleaning and painting everything I can to elimanate rust and corrosion. I painted the IC tubes and intake plenum with rustoleum which is good for up to 200 deg. I wanted to paint the sc the same color but am not sure if I need to use a higher deg paint. I'd hate to have to repaint everything again (I want the whole assembly to match) but not if its going to peel. Everything else i've used high heat paint on but didn't think about the sc getting hot. Also, i did a light abrasive blast on the top of my intake manifold to remove the tarnish off so no its really clean. I dont really want to paint it and was thinking of sealing it with some polyurethane. Will that work? Thanks.

Thomas

I used Duplicolor New Ford Grey DE 1611 engine paint to paint the Supercharger and IC Tubing.

It claims to:
Resist temperatures up to 500 degrees F
Durable ceramic formulation
Tough cured finish resists oil, gas grease, rust, salt, humidity, and solvents

I hate to say it but I'd start completely over. You should use a ceramic engine paint that is good to 500 degrees. What you already painted will peel eventually and you'll have to take it off again to fix it so just do it now while its off. Your gonna need to get the paint you already put on off so the correct paint has a good base to adhere too.

I hate to say it but I'd start completely over. You should use a ceramic engine paint that is good to 500 degrees. What you already painted will peel eventually and you'll have to take it off again to fix it so just do it now while its off. Your gonna need to get the paint you already put on off so the correct paint has a good base to adhere too.

i agree with hock. dont use the low 200 paint that you used. get some good ceramic paint or 2 part epoxy. if you use the 2 part epoxy you will have to bake it in to make it stay, but it will never come off on its own. it takes me about 5 days with acid soak the get it off of parts. and im talking about acid that if you get it on your hand it will eat through your hand. figure your engine compartment will have temp flash areas well above 200 due to exhaust being in there to.

Dang, I figured that. Guess i'll have to bring those parts to the blast cabinate. Has anyone used to VHT high heat paint on their headers? I seen it at orielly's. It says its ceramic paint with a heat range of 700-1003 deg. Anyone try this?

Dang, I figured that. Guess i'll have to bring those parts to the blast cabinate. Has anyone used to VHT high heat paint on their headers? I seen it at orielly's. It says its ceramic paint with a heat range of 700-1003 deg. Anyone try this?

cant say i ever heard of anyone being able to keep anything spray on there headers. most all times you have to bake it on to keep it on and at that only expect about 4 years before it chips and falls off. header are hard to keep pretty, and impossible if you use it as a daily driver.

I painted my whole engine with the Duplicolor ceramic 500 degree - primer, paint and clear. The top end is holding up great one year later .. the only place the paint cooked off was on top of the primaries on the exhaust manifolds - but they are barely visable anyways, no big deal.
I dont know how the 200 degree stuff will hold up because the engine likes to run a little hotter than that.

- Dan

Back