Snow Nozzle Location - Redux

DLF

So, I've read a bunch of posts, and it doesn't seem that there's been an agreement reached on the "correct" location for the nozzle.

I'm planning to install a single 375ml nozzle in the return plenum, about 2 1/2" up from the manifold, where I don't believe that there will be any obstructions.

Before I drill and tap, I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Attachments

• HPIM0864.JPG
    HPIM0864.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 145
After some more reading, it looks like dual nozzles are recommended, so I'm going to add a 100ml nozzle in the SC inlet.

I thought I read of someone putting it at the bottom of the inlet plenum at a 45 degree angle and doing this allows the alcohol to get fully atomized in the intake.

After some more reading, it looks like dual nozzles are recommended, so I'm going to add a 100ml nozzle in the SC inlet.

Use the unused opening on the front of the inlet.

When putting it after the AIC your engine will get the benefit but if you are running high inlet temps it won't help you. In the member section there is a thread where XR7 Dave talks about tuning for it after the AIC.

I'm still uncomfortable injecting before the blower and running a single nozzel located on the return plenum. It was just before the air temp sensor, but when the new 4.3 motor went in it was relocated to the backside close to the bottom (about an inch lower that you are planning).

So far so good.

David

So, I've read a bunch of posts, and it doesn't seem that there's been an agreement reached on the "correct" location for the nozzle.

I'm planning to install a single 375ml nozzle in the return plenum, about 2 1/2" up from the manifold, where I don't believe that there will be any obstructions.

Before I drill and tap, I thought I'd ask for opinions.

It is extremely irritating that there isn't a simple answer, mostly because installing the nozzle in some locations is a bit of a pain. Note you can always stick a plug in the hole if you find a better spot later.

Before the air/liquid intercooler and new blower, I had a nozzle in front of the blower, and a nozzle in the tube leading to the intake manifold plenum (before the ACT).

After the air/liquid intercooler I stuck the nozzle in the intake manifold plenum similar to what you are describing. Note I did a dumb move and stuck it in a place so it's nearly right over the bolt for the plenum making it more challenging to bolt that thing down than in needed to be.

The main reason why I stuck it there. #1 - to get a true idea of the intercooler performance and not changing ACT sensor measurements. #2 - I didn't have a bung to weld into my new intercooler tubes to move the nozzle there. (maybe this was #1) I didn't use the snow system at all this fall as I am still dialing things in without it.

Long term I think I'm going to move the nozzle down into the tube ahead of the sensor a foot or two with a bung. I like the idea of being able to have the EEC-IV see a more accurate ACT temp that can come in to play in various tables.

What unused opening? The only threaded port on the front of my MP inlet is the one used for the bypass vacuum.

Isn't there 2-3 on the back of the plenum and 1 on the front? All of these are in use on your car? The one facing the front of the car isn't in use on my car. That is the one I was told to use for a 2nd Snow nozzle.

Isn't there 2-3 on the back of the plenum and 1 on the front? All of these are in use on your car? The one facing the front of the car isn't in use on my car. That is the one I was told to use for a 2nd Snow nozzle.

Yup, I'm using all of them. I'll just drill and tap another.

Thanks!

If you put a nozzle before the blower it will eat the coating off the rotors, won't it? Plus with coated rotors the smaller clearances could also mean bad news if the meth gets trapped in between the rotors and the case.
So does anyone have a definitive answer on the tuning aspect of meth before or after the ACT sensor?
As in before = needs to be tuned for decrease in temp
after = does not need to be tuned specifically for meth

Is this correct or am I wrong? I completely understand that when using meth anywhere the car should be tuned for it but say the installer doesn't have time/money to get the car tuned as soon as the meth goes in. What should one do?

Well, now I'm REALLY confused. :(

From Snow's Web Site:

Nozzle Location:

For a turbo or centrifugal blower the nozzle must be installed after the compressor. Failure to do so will result in a sandblasting effect on the compressor blades over time from the finely atomized injection particles.

For Roots or twin screw type blowers the nozzle can be installed before or after the blower based on intake design. On a roots blower locating the nozzle before the blower works will to help cool the heated pockets of air that can build between the rotors.

I have come across some issues with these systems that current owners will need to address.

1) I highly recommend a purge system. This is a simple connection that puts a momentary button that jumpers between the main red power input to the controller and the green pump circuit. This will be highly useful in determining that the system is functional AND it will purge the lines of air. If the system hasn't been used in awhile and/or you have long lines you will find that the engine will have a tendency to slowly siphon off all the fluid from between the solenoid and the nozzles. It can take 3-5 seconds of spraying to purge the lines of air depending on how long they are. For this reason I also recommend placing the solenoid as close as possible to the nozzles.

2) The pumps are not waterproof. Snow does not make any specific recommendations about mounting the pump but it has come to my attention that they need to be protected from splash water and rainfall. If you can't find a suitable mounting location then I suggest covering the pump in a plastic shield or bag so that it does not receive direct spray or dripping from any water source. Behind the fenderliners is not sufficiently dry to prevent possible corrosion and failure.

3) Anyone who does not have dual nozzles on their system I highly recommend it.

4) Snow now has their flow monitoring device available so for ultimate safety that is something which should be looked into.

Any questions, please post.

David

Where should the dual nozzles be placed?

I'd put the small nozzle somewhere not too far in front of the ACT sensor. For maximum effectiveness the main nozzle should be located as close to the motor as practical and should be able to spray in such a way as to not simply collect on the tubing walls. Different size nozzles have different spray patterns so what is best for one isn't best for another. For best atomization you might want to run 3-4 small nozzles instead of one big one...... Just food for thought. To determine the best mounting spot, I suggest running your system uninstalled and looking at the spray pattern of your nozzles before selecting a location.

Back