removong lower IC tube

kneedragger25

What needs to also be removed? the bolts holding it to the IC are easy the bolts that goes side ways is somewhat easy but what about the bolt thats upside down? how do I get to that? I remember I wanted to do this with my old 92 but was still learning mechanics and was to inexperienced to try. now I have been wrenching on cars for years now and am willing to try. I also want to replace the valve cover gaskets so what also needs to be removed?

If I remember correctly I wasn't able to get it off until I took of the Power Steering Pump bracket. If you're replacing your valve cover gaskets, pretty much tear the engine down like you're doing the head gaskets, just stop once you reach the valve covers. I think you don't need to remove the jackshaft and DIS bracket though.

Yeah, just remove the PS pump and accessory bracket on that side...you'll probably want to remove the lower IC tube to replace valve cover gaskets too. I replaced them once with it the tube installed and it was a PAIN. :rolleyes:

I'm 95% sure that if you have old motor mounts and the 89-91? ABS unit on there car, you won't be able to get the tube out without removing the accessory bracket, etc. I DID get the factory tube out with brand new motor mounts and ABS delete though! :cool::D But even then, it was a huge pain...so just take bracket out. :)

if you are going that far, you should just do the head gaskets. save you time and money plus the gasket set is only 100 bucks and you wont have to worry about them ever going bad.......:D

...but what about the bolt thats upside down? how do I get to that?
It is possible to get to that upside down bolt without removing the power steering bracket. You need a 1/4" drive ratchet, extension, swivel and socket. It's a pain, but I've done it several times. Now if you need to remove the lower tube completely, you might as well pull the power steering bracket. But if you are just resealing the tubes or even changing the valve cover gaskets, you can remove all of the lower tube mounting hardware and move the tube around as needed.

In my case removing the lower IC tube is a breeze..........:rolleyes:

PSdelete2.jpg

just take a sawzall and cut it out is how I did it LOL. Replace with 2.5 inch intercool piping away from the exhaust headers.

I was not going top do the head gaskets because I didnt want to break the exhaust gasket seal, I already need to replace the 3 bolt flange gaskets. and from looking at that last pic would I be able to convert my brake unit to something simple like Roadhawg has? I seen another 92 at my shop with those kinda brake system and my 92 was like my 90 its hydraulic.

Roadhawg looks like has a Mustang. :p

Converting to a later module ABS-type brake system would be very very tedious, as the wiring is different. What I was referring to was converting to manual brakes. If I were you though, unless you're having problems with the system on there, or are concerned about reliability (my case), then I wouldn't bother with changing the brake system. My conversion works great, I just wouldn't bother converting unless you feel like you have to.

If you want to see what the conversion looks like, see mine below...don't mind the wires everywhere though. :p

Just take the bracket off...it's no biggy after you get the power steering pulley puller. :D

Attachments

• P9170013.JPG
    P9170013.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Back