How much left

Motohead

SCCoA Member
Dose anyone know how much fuel is left in the tank in gallons when the check gauge light comes on.

Next time the light comes on, fill up immediately, and subtract that amount from the capacity published in the owner's manual.

JD

Next time the light comes on, fill up immediately, and subtract that amount from the capacity published in the owner's manual.

JD

I'm doing some expermentation with mixing some 110 octaine with my 93 octaine. My data logs are showing 10 deg of timing being pulled by the knock sensor on WOT. I want to test wether raising the octaine will reduce the timing pullout. If it dose then the car is definatlly detonating and I'll lower the max boost. If it dosent I'll have to find out what is giving the knock sensor false triggers the check gague light just came on and I would like to test this weekend so I'm looking for a ballpark number to work with.

Last edited:
I filled up yesterday almost as soon as the light came on and it was 13.5 gallons in my 93 sc hope that helps

Something I discovered when I swapped the old type tank to the new type was that there is still about 4 gallons in the tank when the fuel level drops below the pump's intake filter sock.

I'm doing some expermentation with mixing some 110 octaine with my 93 octaine. My data logs are showing 10 deg of timing being pulled by the knock sensor on WOT. I want to test wether raising the octaine will reduce the timing pullout. If it dose then the car is definatlly detonating and I'll lower the max boost. If it dosent I'll have to find out what is giving the knock sensor false triggers the check gague light just came on and I would like to test this weekend so I'm looking for a ballpark number to work with.

You will find that the big dogs, running big numbers disable the knock sensor. I am running 100 octane no lead with no knock sensor. The only 110 around here is leaded. Are you going to run leaded gas in your car? You will likely find you are right about the timing be pulled. Just my 2 cents

Ken

You will find that the big dogs, running big numbers disable the knock sensor. I am running 100 octane no lead with no knock sensor. The only 110 around here is leaded. Are you going to run leaded gas in your car? You will likely find you are right about the timing be pulled. Just my 2 cents

Ken

Yea I'm going to run the ledded long enough to find out if its detnoating or not

ok so i ran the tank lower today (i drive a lot!). Tank took 16.75 gallons that was a little while after the check gauges light came on. The low fuel always comes on a while before the check gauges light comes on in my car.

I think its about 2 - 3 gallons....:confused:

I can usually get about 90 miles before I'd better be pulling into the gas station.....:rolleyes:

in all the thunderbirds i have had it comes on at just when it hits red, should be an 8th of a tank, 18 gallon tank, so that would mean technically there should be 2.25 gallons in the tank still, but i have no actual clue, just going by what the tank size is

allright then I'm going to run around about 20 more miles then dump in 5 gallons of 110 (Leaded) then I'll do my datalogs maybe burn a couple of gallons after witch I will fill-er-up with 93 unleadded

One thing to keep in mind.
Running continually with a low fuel level is hard on the in tank fuel pump, as the fuel provides cooling for the fuel pump.

One thing to keep in mind.
Running continually with a low fuel level is hard on the in tank fuel pump, as the fuel provides cooling for the fuel pump.

There's always cool fuel going through it though...as long as your not sucking air. ;)

They're not the same from the 19 gal and 18gal tanks, that's for sure. I switched tanks on my 89 and just about ran out of gas soon after. The light seems to come on at the same area on the gauge, but there is less fuel left when the needle hits the red area. It makes sense, since the 19 gal tank has that extra lobe on the driver side that level with the lowest point of the tank, while the 18gal is raised in that area (if memory serves). Also, now with the new 18gal tank, my 89 behaves the same as the 93, which came stock with the 18gal tank, of course.

I don't think they're very accurate from car to car, but I agree with the amounts everyone has posted, just based on the SC's I have. Somewhere between 2 and 4 gallons would probably be about right.

In my 94 (18gal tank), the low fuel light came on at 2 gal left. The check gauges light comes on when there's approx. (1/16th) of the tank left in gas, or 1.125 galons. Straight from the owners manual.

Back