mpx????

white90sc5spd

does anyone here without extensive mods run an mpx?? what do you think the gains would be on a stock engine with bigger mafs, injectors, exhaust, 10% pulley, that i have already?? looking at the 300hp kit for awhile but dont want to drop the money, could i get the same results or close from a ported 1st gen m90?? or is it really worth the money

A ported 1st gen won't come close. A ported late model or an MPX is the way to get the most out of a mostly stock SC motor. A ported early model is ok to a point, but don't expect the world.

does anyone here without extensive mods run an mpx?? what do you think the gains would be on a stock engine with bigger mafs, injectors, exhaust, 10% pulley, that i have already?? looking at the 300hp kit for awhile but dont want to drop the money, could i get the same results or close from a ported 1st gen m90?? or is it really worth the money

You get what you pay for in most cases, but I think you could get there with the right bolt ons and a good tune.

well if i can sell my 94 v8 bird then i will go with the mpx all the way, and the plenum, 85mm tb, 3 1/2 cia, and the provided 15%(i think)pulley system, i think the bigger inj. mafs, and exhuast i have would mate nicely with that setup, then maybe who knows, maybe ill get a little further into it, first i have to fix the deadly bobblehead vibration, OH, and sell my other car:(

Personally, I'd go the cam route first and open the motor up for breathing, then consider the MPX so you can maximize the benefit of it.

Fraser

looking at the 300hp kit for awhile but dont want to drop the money, could i get the same results or close from a ported 1st gen m90?? or is it really worth the money

It's possible, but getting 300 rwhp from a 1st gen M90 is going to be really tough. A MPx is worth the money but achieving your goals are a whole lot easier with ported heads and a cam.

so i take it if i cam it i am not going to want just a small change, i would want to get the comp xtreme2, or custom grind or something similar, which then would mean i couldnt really effectively drive my car until i get a tune, but to tune would need the heads, and maybe some other bolt ons, THEN... i would have to get a tune... wow unless i want to tune every other month i better get all the parts first......or just get the cam last....(duh)

so i take it if i cam it i am not going to want just a small change, i would want to get the comp xtreme2, or custom grind or something similar, which then would mean i couldnt really effectively drive my car until i get a tune, but to tune would need the heads, and maybe some other bolt ons, THEN... i would have to get a tune... wow unless i want to tune every other month i better get all the parts first......or just get the cam last....(duh)

You are going to need a tune regardless....

My first main upgrade was a 94 blower and the car made 220rwhp, got it ported etc made 240rwhp, got a cam (a mild one), made 270rwhp, got the heads done, 300rwhp... still on the 94 ported blower @ 10% OD and stock intake system.

At this point, I'm running 15% on the blower and making around 320rwhp or so with an MP plenum. If I was to go to the MPX at this point I'd probably easily hit 350rwhp at 20%OD, maybe more.

Just throw an mpx on the car with a stock motor might get you around 270rwhp, but look at the cost difference.

Fraser

ok i could have guessed that i would need a tune with the heads and cam, but you need a tune with a new blower??? the cost thing is a good point, i guess from what ive seen for used parts i could hit 300 with about 800-1200??? compared to the mpx package which is 1895.99 that is significant savings, and if im not mistaken ive seen heads go for under 400 on here, what about the cam purchase, where should i get them, from scp??

Talk to Dave Dalke (XR7Dave) for a cam... email him, don't pm him.

As far as tuning goes, there is some mods you can do that doesn't require a tune, BUT that being said, any blower upgrade on your car is going to require larger injectors which should be tuned for.

Fraser

my car runs perfect, idle to redline,i already have bigger mafs and injectors, (all black) that i had a shop get for me years back, as for the size of either?????lost that info years ago, can i measure the inner diameter of the mafs to see how big it is???? also have exhaust, cai, and a 10% pulley(i think???, max out boost gauge, pulley is from a guy who had it in his garage, didnt remember size)

be carefull

put an MPX on a stock engine and watch it blow!

Just make sure you have it built well before boosting too much...I would say 15lbs max with stock engine

Just my experience

And more boost = more fuel + MLS head gaskets

well i imagine its balanced out quite well, although im not sure if the shop that put the parts on adjusted for them(quite possibly did) i say this because i dont think it would be running lean(what are some signs?) and i know its not running rich because i have never smelled gas, and my truck ran rich on bank 2(crazy loud nascar exhaust) so i know what thats all about, but like i said i really wouldnt have any clue if the shop did anything when they put the parts on, i know they must have calibrated a universal style mass air though(pro flow...??) because it has a little box on it that says calibration, and it has been engraved with an "SC" but it appears larger inside than the stocker on my parts car...

Just make sure you have it built well before boosting too much...I would say 15lbs max with stock engine

Just my experience

And more boost = more fuel + MLS head gaskets

I'm running the standard felpro head gaskets on mine and don't have a prob :), and I'm running almost 17lbs of boost now.

Fraser

i am curious to be able to see how much boost my car makes, it will peg the boost guage, fairly easily at around 2800-3000ish and will stay the whole time im on the throttle, it went to about 14 psi with the stock pulley, and aftermarket intake, inj. mafs. if i remember correctly, then when i put the pulley i bought off a guy on the car it pegged out the boost guage. i think its a 3" pulley but am not positive, which would be 10% right?????

Last edited:

I just have a OEM equivalent rebuild and I'm pushing 16 psi and 350 rwhp. But then again it is a SCU motor and tune.

i am curious to be able to see how much boost my car makes, it will peg the boost guage, fairly easily at around 2800-3000ish and will stay the whole time im on the throttle, it went to about 14 psi with the stock pulley, and the intake, inj. mafs. if i remember correctly, then when i put the pulley i bought off a guy on the car it pegged out the boost guage. i think its a 3" pulley but am not positive, which would be 10% right?????

More boost doesn't always mean more power.

well i can agree there,but what i can say is that it sounds good(no way to hear my exhaust at full throttle) and it is significantly faster than my stock 1993 i had and a few more SC's that i have driven and test driven over the years, and has been safely driven like that for 3 years solid(although it sat for 2 now,still started and ran regularly), and still oil and fluids show no signs of headgaskets failing. i would say its safe for now, it actually runs perfect, but if i try to put more power to it i would for sure go with new gaskets and probably a full overhaul. that is if i want to get exstensive

Last edited:
I had an MPx with 15% OD on a stock block, stock cam, standard Fel Pro headgaskets with ARP studs last year. Car put down 286rwhp and ran 13.20's. Earlier this year, same everything except swapped blowers to a ported late model, MP inlet plenum and 20% OD and it went .1s faster but 2MPH slower. The late model felt better out of the hole but the MPx definately made up for it in the mid-high range rpm's. Key to getting a good blower is find a rotor pack with low miles or have it rebuilt, it will save you alot of aches in the long run.

Back