help with windows

white90sc5spd

both side windows on my car do not currently work, are they clipped in at the bottom with some crappy plastic clips or something??? the motors work and whatnot, but when i go to roll them down, it makes a few little clicking noises deep in the door and the window just sticks for a second and then slides down, ive never let it go all the way but it will... but when i put it up it clicks and clanks and gets forced up, havent been using it since that happend anyway but what does that sound like it would take to fix??

Same here. I think mine are just out of the tracks... but you need a special door popper to get the door panels off.

This sounds like the rollers in the window motors are crushed, common problem. The rollers are available in the "Help" parts section at most autoparts stores but not all of the stores carry them. You'll need to remove the window motors, remove the cover under the gear, clean out the old broken pieces, and slide the new rollers in. It's pretty easy actually. If you've never removed the motor it's pretty easy, too. Remove the door panel, the speaker, and there are 3, 8mm bolts that hold the motor in place. It's also possible that window has come unglued from the plastic clips that hold it on the window regulator. If so use clear windshield sealer to glue them back in. The door panel is easy to remove with no special tool. Remove all the screws, about 4 of them I think, bottom corner by the light/reflector, the triangular wedge shaped piece of plastic trim in the front upper corner, the switch panel, and one that is recessed below the latch handle under the switch panel. Just lift up on the door panel and it comes right off.

hey you know, i think i was told by someone that they came unglued from the clips before, as soon as it stops raining i will investigate....hmmmm
thanks for the info on where to start!

If the clips have come unglued here is how to fix it. Clean the mating surfaces with brake cleaner and fill the clips with clear aquarium silicone from the pet section of Walmart. Roll up the window making sure the clips go onto the glass and leave them rolled up for at least a day or two. This stuff is made for glass. After one application about 10 years ago has been working perfectly in my 89 and has not come loose yet.

If the clips are fine then follow the mike's advice and feel lucky they have the little parts in the help section. Back when I first fixed that I had to either buy a whole new gear or make them. I made them from the handle of a toilet brush with my pocketknife...also been working for over 10 years.

that sounds easy enough, ill get out to see as soon as the rain stops....good call on the makeshift parts, i love to hear that people can fix something with almost anything

On an 89, go to the rear of the inside door handle cup and pry it loose from the panel. There is a bolt or screw there. Go to the window switch panel and take the screw out there. Remove that panel and disconnect the wires from the switches. Carefully take the courtesy lamp lens out, there is a screw in there.
Go back to the top of the door and remove the triangular forward piece there. Take the entire door panel and lift it about 2 inches straight up. Rest the panel on your feet and disconnect the courtesy light plug, and its off.

its actually a 90 but im sure they are the same.....ive had the panel off before when my windows worked to fix the door handle, so i can get it off. its so crappy here in MI that i dont want to go out and get wet

I don't know about any screw behind the door cup. And I wouldn't pry on those if I didn't have to .. .the clips can break easily.

from what i remember its one in the triangle, one under the window switch panel, one by the lens, and thats all i saw....pretty sure thats it

yeah dont pry on door cup......flipping retard mechanic i brought this to way back busted my clips, so now the cup falls off all the time, i have a parts car can i fix it while im in there for the windows???

that is what i thought....the retard probably ripped it off to realize that he didnt need to.....then tried to 2 sided tape it on to not fall off so i wouldnt notice, and on top of that the f$%$ing prick must have been a meth head or something because he also picked half the leather off of my pristine stock shift knob(on a test drive???????), i guess it was almost 4 years ago i cant bicker now, but it still cheeses me off,,,
ANYWAY
how would i go about removing the not broken one without breaking it(door cup that is) and replacing it, (i bet its easy and i shouldnt ask because i will see exactly what needs to be done when i look at it)

Yeah, I forgot about that cup. Pry it out from the top or upper side so the straight tabs on the top pull straight out. That way the bottom tab won't break off.

Harbor Freight sells a nice, cheap set of plastic trim removal tools that work great for removing the door cups. They're also useful for other delicate interior trim pieces, window mouldings, and a bunch of other things. If you don't have the plastic trim removal tools, try and find a plastic putty knife or something similar. Using something like a screwdriver will cause damage.

JD

Back